PDA

View Full Version : Billed for Kitchen Lino

parky632
06-04-2010, 17:58 PM
I have recently moved out of my rented flat, my washing machine would not fit under the kitchen work surface so i had to place it as close to it as i could due to the plumbing but when the washer was on spin cycle it had lots of room to move. The foot on the washer made a small tear in the Lino flooring and when the washer moved the lino ripped, about a 2 inch tear.

The lino was 1 year old when i moved into the flat and i lived their for 3 years. I agreed that the Lino needed replacing and my LL said they would supply a quote, after a week they were going to charge me £374 for the new lino, i said i wasnt happy at that price and asked where my 3 qutes were, i was told it was not the companies policy to supply 3 quotes but to get someone they always use to do the lino.

I informed them that i have sought advice and i am able to get the lino done myself. i got a quote and had the new Lino fitted some £100 cheaper for the same quality lino as wss fitted.

I have been told i am entitled to of only pay a percentage for the Lino as it was used is this true and as i have paid already from my own pocket can i take my LL to a small claims court to get a percentage back.

Also am i right in thinking i have to of had 3 quotes for the Lino in the first place.

I have also been informed that a Lino should be secured to the floor by means of glue, this was told to me by the Lino fitter who said a change in the law made it a must for all Lino to be glued, if this is true when did this take effecct and where will i find any legislation to aid me in court.

Thank you in advance Parky632

Snorkerz
06-04-2010, 18:15 PM
Simple answers...

Depending on the quality of the lino, I personally would have expected you to pay either the repair costs or 40% of the replacement cost if it was good quality if it was not repairable. Cheap stuff (shorter lifespan) maybe 20%.

Because you replaced it yourself, you have no claim against the landlord - indeed, if he can prove the new lino is of a poorer quality than the stuff you replaced, he may still have a claim against you.

No obligation to get 3 quotes.

Only certain types of vinyl have to be bonded - see the manufacturers website for details. Not doing so would not be 'illegal' although it might invalidate the manufacturers guarantee.

parky632
06-04-2010, 19:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, the Lino was of the same if not better quality. Is it written down anywhere that i should only pay a percentage, i have been informed by my new LL that it is but i cant find it anywhere and my new LL is out of the UK at present.

Snorkerz
06-04-2010, 19:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, the Lino was of the same if not better quality. Is it written down anywhere that i should only pay a percentage, i have been informed by my new LL that it is but i cant find it anywhere and my new LL is out of the UK at present.It's not written down anywhere (AFAIK) but the lino if 4 years old, you are not obliged to pay for a 'new' product, just the value of what has been damaged. So, if the expected life of the lino was 5 years, and you have damaged it after 4, the landlord has lost one years worth. That one years worth is a fifth of its life, therefore he has lost a fifth of the cost.

Raise a dispute with the deposit company, they will decide what is fair.

mind the gap
06-04-2010, 22:28 PM
Snorkerz, I suspect OP may have just missed out on deposit protection (pre April 07).