PDA

View Full Version : Start/End Time of Day - on an AST and S21?

Charles19
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I was advised that my AST was incorrect in stating a start/end time of 'Midday'. Is this correct - should it be midnight on day concerned? Hope I am wrong here as it would seem impracticle.

Also, I understand that a S21 needs to be actionable at midnight on final day concerned - confrirmation on my undertanding here also please.
Thanks
Chas.

Lawcruncher
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
There is no need to specify a time on a section 21 notice. Indeed there is no point as it does not bring the tenancy to an end. Keep it simple and just put in the date.

Unless the agreement provides to the contrary, a tenancy does not end until the last moment of the last day.

Charles19
05-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Unless the agreement provides to the contrary, a tenancy does not end until the last moment of the last day.

So if I put "Midday" in ASt would this be legal as I like to specify a time (even though I am actually flerxible in the event of moving out with delays possible) or does "end of the day" i.e midnight take precedence in law anyway?

Snorkerz
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
My undestanding is that it is a full day. This simplifies matters when issuing notices.

Normally: 24th April to 23rd November - s21 expires "After 23rd Nov"

Timed: 12:00 24th April to 11:59:59 24th Nov - expires - ?

Lawcruncher
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
So if I put "Midday" in ASt would this be legal as I like to specify a time (even though I am actually flerxible in the event of moving out with delays possible) or does "end of the day" i.e midnight take precedence in law anyway?

The point you are missing here is that as soon as the fixed term tenancy ends a periodic one starts giving the tenant in occupation the right to continue in occupation. Specifying times of the day for tenancies to begin and end is an unnecessary complication. Whatever you are doing you should keep things simple.