PDA

View Full Version : Section 21 help please

uprkr
02-04-2010, 14:20 PM
I want to serve a Section 21 on my tenants but am unsure as to what date to use. It is a 6 months assured shorthold tenancy which commenced on 9/01/10 when they paid their first monthly payment in advance. However because they wanted to decorate we said they could have have 1 week free of payment and make their monthly payments on the 16th of each month instead of the 9th. I am aware i must give them 2 months notice but do not know what date in May i should use.Should it be related to the Tenancy agreement or the rental payment date
Thanks

Snorkerz
02-04-2010, 15:13 PM
I want to serve a Section 21 on my tenants but am unsure as to what date to use. It is a 6 months assured shorthold tenancy which commenced on 9/01/10 when they paid their first monthly payment in advance. However because they wanted to decorate we said they could have have 1 week free of payment and make their monthly payments on the 16th of each month instead of the 9th. I am aware i must give them 2 months notice but do not know what date in May i should use.Should it be related to the Tenancy agreement or the rental payment date
ThanksTenancy agreement.

If you use the phrase "after 8th July 2010" and serve it any time before 8th May.

johnjw
02-04-2010, 15:18 PM
Use the date on the AST agreement.
Private agreements concerning refunds or the date the rent is paid, do not affect the starting date of the tenancy. It is this starting date which is relevant to the section 21 notice.

jeffrey
04-04-2010, 13:33 PM
Tenancy agreement.

If you use the phrase "after 8th July 2010" and serve it any time before 8th May.
Yes. Whether using a standard form or a letter, ensure that it complies with s.21(1)(b) of the Housing Act 1988.

uprkr
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Many thanks for your help.