PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom and Kitchen Regs

mr&mrsjackson
01-04-2010, 21:30 PM
I've only just realized actually and have just been told that there is supposed to be 2 doors between the kitchen and the bathroom well our bathroom is directly connected to our kitchen in the same extension with one door between the two - I have been told that this is highly illegal and if this fact is correct what can I do about it ?

if you imagine a square with a line down them middle that is how our Kitchen & Bathroom are connected Bathroom on the left and Kitchen on the right with Door in the middle.

So is this true Is this illegal and can anything be done ??

Thanks

Snorkerz
01-04-2010, 22:10 PM
I've only just realized actually and have just been told that there is supposed to be 2 doors between the kitchen and the bathroom well our bathroom is directly connected to our kitchen in the same extension with one door between the two - I have been told that this is highly illegal and if this fact is correct what can I do about it ?

if you imagine a square with a line down them middle that is how our Kitchen & Bathroom are connected Bathroom on the left and Kitchen on the right with Door in the middle.

ThanksIt is certainly against building regs. Whether that is retrospective or not, I don't know. Our 1935 house had an extension built onto the back of the kitchen to create an indoor bathroom. At some (later)stage a small corner of the bathroom has been partitioned off to make a lobby - thus 2 doors.

Might be worth posting when the extension was built, in case it has to comply with the building regs then.

mr&mrsjackson
01-04-2010, 22:26 PM
Not sure when it was built as we are only the tenants but at a wild guess I'd guess in the last 15 years!!, I think these houses where built in the 70's.

Not sure whether this helps and Unfortunately I dont know much about Regulations and stuff but with my wife being disabled I want to make sure everything is tip-top!

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Snorkerz
01-04-2010, 22:38 PM
Phone the 'building control' department at your local council.

If you are going to do anything with the information they give you, get a name and record when exactly you called and what phone number you rang. Building control officers have a habit of changing their minds!

mr&mrsjackson
01-04-2010, 22:50 PM
Thanks buddy will check it out.

TBH we just want to move out as soon as, just finding a house in another area is the hard part.

Thanks

johnboy
01-04-2010, 22:56 PM
I thought but could be wrong that yes one door between kitchen and toilet is not allowed now under building regs but for older properties where it is already in place it is ok. otherwise there would be 1000's of houses which would be in need or changing.

Ericthelobster
02-04-2010, 05:56 AM

As far as I remember the regs changed on this topic a few years ago - but actually once became more relaxed than tighter.

The current version of the relevant Building Regulations document is here (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G_2010.pdf) (see section G4) - my understanding of that is that you only need one door between kitchen and toilet, which would mean you are fine.

Whatever, though - and this may not apply here - bear in mind that there is never any need to bring older properties up to current standards; if building regs were followed correctly at the time the extension was built, then nobody can tell you that it needs changing.

teeps
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
we bourght 3 new builds in 2002 which have cloakrooms directly off from kitchen.

jeffrey
02-04-2010, 13:29 PM
we bourght 3 new builds in 2002 which have cloakrooms directly off from kitchen.
Cloakroom = for hanging cloaks (or, possibly, contains WC).
Bathroom is not necessarily the same.

mk85
02-04-2010, 14:52 PM
You dont actually need to have 2 doors these days. I just built an extension where the extended part (the bathroom) is accessed though the open plan kitchen, with just one door.

The building regs guy was happy enough.

What he may ask for tho is to have an extractor fan in the bathroom.

teeps
03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I think access for disabled people changed the planning laws on new builds around 2003/2004 negotiating two doors was to difficult so for ease of access doorways were also made wider and the two door rule dropped

Wickerman
03-04-2010, 21:09 PM
Part M of the Building regs covers disabled access I believe.

fps
04-04-2010, 22:40 PM
what is your tenancy status? are you an AST?. If so you need to consider the Landlord may serve notice if you complain about this issue. Does the layout affect your health and safety? It may be best to find alternative suitable accommodation prior to raising this issue as you potentially risk the landlord serving notice if they decide it is no worth doing any necessary works