PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid Electricity

karinrees
01-04-2010, 16:22 PM
My daughter rented her flat for a year to a tenant who has now given notice. She has now discovered he has not paid the electricity bills, totalling over £600. Unfortunately she did not have the account transferred to his name, the bills are addressed to 'The Occupier'. Would anyone know if she liable to pay even though she was not occupying the flat? Thank you.

jeffrey
01-04-2010, 16:31 PM
What did the Letting Agreement specify re liability for outgoings?

Soot2006
01-04-2010, 16:48 PM
Was the tenant on the electoral roll during the tenancy? This should id them as the occupier.

karinrees
01-04-2010, 16:49 PM
"The Tenant shall (b) (i) Arrange forthwith with the relevant authorities for all accounts in respect of council tax electricity gas water and the telephone at the property to be addressed to the Tenant in his own name and to pay all standing charges in connection with the same and all charges for all electric light and power and water which shall be consumed or supplied on or to the property during the tenancy and not to allow any of the said services to be disconnected altered or removed and shall ensure that the said services are operating throughout the tenancy."

He has clearly not kept his side of the agreement, but what she is wondering is if she will be held liable by the electicity supplier? He has been regularly late paying his rent and she is greatly relieved he is moving out, but I think she will have great difficulty in recovering the money from him.

Thank you Jeffrey.

karinrees
01-04-2010, 16:50 PM
Thank you Soot2006. I will ask her to check that.

westminster
01-04-2010, 16:55 PM
Your daughter isn't liable for the bill. Tell your daughter to contact the electricity company and give them the dates of the tenant's occupation, and his forwarding address if she has it. They may ask to see a copy of the tenancy agreement.

Edit: just realized he's still in occupation - so she just needs to tell them to send the bill to the tenant at the rental property address.

karinrees
01-04-2010, 16:57 PM
Thank you Westminster. That will be a great relief to her!