PDA

View Full Version : Dampness and Carpet Issues

muirty
31-03-2010, 21:13 PM
Hi, I have a problem with my flat im letting out. Firstly, the tenent reported dampness on the ceiling on the kitchen about 4 months ago and the agents informed us, we asked the agent to arrange a date for us to fix it and after a month got back to us and said that "it seems to be fine now", two months later they inspected the propoerty and said it was fine, damp patch only needed lick of paint. two weeks ago tenent complained that nothing had been done and it was worse, four days later we inspected ourself and ceiling had terrible mould issues. I have cleaned the ceiling with mould remover and painted with mould/water proof paint. Problem lies with the old hot water tank located in the kitchen near the ceiling, the tenent has the hot water tank on 24-7 and as it is old, condensation is gathering and spreading, we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?

Secondly, tenent asked about getting new carpets, carpets are only 2.5 yr old and were in perfect condition when tenent moved in. however they are now in a terrible state and would prob need replaced, who is liable for this? Is it myself or tenent or percentage for me and percentage for tenent?

Rodent1
31-03-2010, 21:17 PM
See:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary-Book-RRP-25_W0QQitemZ190377113177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Book s_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item2c53 5c3659

mind the gap
31-03-2010, 21:23 PM
See:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary-Book-RRP-25_W0QQitemZ190377113177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Book s_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item2c53 5c3659

Er...may one ask why you have posted a link to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Rodent?

Snorkerz
31-03-2010, 22:47 PM
Condensation is a tenant issue - suggest she reads this
http://www.aber.ac.uk/residential/en/accommodation/condensation-eng.pdf

Any damage caused by tenant neglect is their problem and if not repaired by the time they leave would normally be a deposit issue.

Carpet: 2½ years seems rather quick for a carpet to wear out. I would expect even cheapo 'rental' carpet to do 4-5 years.
Personally, I would decline to replace the carpet. If they are in a less-good-state than they should be (ie throw out-able) when she leaves, then again it is a deposit issue. General rule of thumb:

(Expected Lifespan - Age at leaving) X (Original Cost / Exp Lifespan)

Rodent1
01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Er...may one ask why you have posted a link to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, Rodent?

Yes of course you can, but the tenent wont inforce it though.

mind the gap
01-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes of course you can, but the tenent wont inforce it though.
In that case, we must take it as a sign that you are keen to learn to spell the rudiments of standard English spelling at last!

Let us help:

tenant
won't
enforce

Just yell! :)

Ericthelobster
01-04-2010, 07:21 AM
In that case, we must take it as a sign that you are keen to learn to spell the rudiments of standard English spelling at last!

Let us help:

tenant
won't
enforce

Oops. I think you need to re-read the post upon which the honourable Rodent was commenting...

(I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... ;))

mind the gap
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Oops. I think you need to re-read the post upon which the honourable Rodent was commenting...

(I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... )

Well, on closer examination I note that 'tenent' and' won't' are spelled non-standardly in OP's post, although there are plenty of people who commit worse crimes of orthography than that on this site... it's a bit rich of 'the honourable Rodent' (?!) to start pointing these things out, since he can't spell to save his grungy little whiskers! :D

...inforce, Rodent?

mind the gap
01-04-2010, 08:13 AM
(I would have just written "Whoosh!" like I did last time I saw a reply like this but the significance of my remark was lost - another whoosh... )

If you mean this :

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27003&highlight=whoosh

...then I just thought you were casting spells. That's why I added 'Expelliamus!', for good measure.

You are obviously too subtle for us thickos, Eric. :rolleyes:

Ericthelobster
02-04-2010, 05:17 AM
If you mean this :

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27003&highlight=whoosh

...then I just thought you were casting spells. That's why I added 'Expelliamus!', for good measure.

Oh yes - I did wonder what that was all about!

(FYI: whoosh! (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whoosh) - common usage on other fora I frequent but apparently not here!)

mind the gap
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Oh yes - I did wonder what that was all about!

(FYI: whoosh! (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whoosh) - common usage on other fora I frequent but apparently not here!)

Well, now we know what you're on about, feel free to 'whoosh' at us as much as you like!

matthew_henson
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi, I have a problem with my flat im letting out. Firstly, the tenent reported dampness on the ceiling on the kitchen about 4 months ago and the agents informed us, we asked the agent to arrange a date for us to fix it and after a month got back to us and said that "it seems to be fine now", two months later they inspected the propoerty and said it was fine, damp patch only needed lick of paint. two weeks ago tenent complained that nothing had been done and it was worse, four days later we inspected ourself and ceiling had terrible mould issues. I have cleaned the ceiling with mould remover and painted with mould/water proof paint. Problem lies with the old hot water tank located in the kitchen near the ceiling, the tenent has the hot water tank on 24-7 and as it is old, condensation is gathering and spreading, we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?

Secondly, tenent asked about getting new carpets, carpets are only 2.5 yr old and were in perfect condition when tenent moved in. however they are now in a terrible state and would prob need replaced, who is liable for this? Is it myself or tenent or percentage for me and percentage for tenent?

A hot water tank will only produce condensation when is cold, moist air condenses on cold things, if she is keeping it hot it is almost certainly a leak and 100% your responsibility.

Are the carpets damaged or dirty? are they laid on underlay? without underlay they will wear through on only high points and get damaged. Again if that is the case it is not the tenants fault.

westminster
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
we have asked if she only has it on when needed and not 24-7, but tenent wont. Is there anything we can do to inforce this until we can get a new hot water tank installed or can tenent do what tenent likes? there is nothing in the lease about it?
I agree with matthew_henson; how can condensation be forming on the surface of a hot object? I think you need to carry out a proper inspection, not just make a guess from looking at the ceiling.

And no, you cannot really force the tenant to do anything, especially to comply with a provision which doesn't even exist - in the event of a breach you can either take legal action to evict and/or to recover the losses arising from a breach.

You have no statutory obligation to replace the carpets mid-tenancy (or pay any percentage).

T is liable for any damage to the carpets over and above fair wear and tear - carpets to do not last forever. If T causes actual damage such as burns or permanent stains, then T is only liable for a portion of the cost of replacement, depending on age/quality of carpet. For example, if it was a cheap carpet expected to last 5 years, new at start of tenancy, and T leaves after 2.5 years, then T is only liable for half the cost of replacement (of similar quality carpet), because you will have lost 2.5 years' worth of use (out of 5 yrs) of the carpet.

However, if the T disputes the damage, then in order to claim anything for damage, you'll need to prove the original good condition of the carpet at the start of the tenancy, and damaged condition at the end of the tenancy, i.e. proof that the T is responsible for the damage.

Did you have an inventory check-in carried out? If not, you may find it difficult to prove T's liability.

Rodent1
03-04-2010, 00:18 AM
Well, on closer examination I note that 'tenent' and' won't' are spelled non-standardly in OP's post, although there are plenty of people who commit worse crimes of orthography than that on this site... it's a bit rich of 'the honourable Rodent' (?!) to start pointing these things out, since he can't spell to save his grungy little whiskers!

I can spell just fine ...but the same can't be said for my dyslectic keyboard though !

...inforce, Rodent?

...and Whoosh again ! (see#1)