PDA

View Full Version : Tenancy Agreement Renewal

Tracie
31-03-2010, 19:40 PM
I have a Letting Agent who I pay a management fee to each month. When the agreement was intially discussed, I asked for a 12 month Assured Tenancy Agreement with a 6 month break clause to be included as with a other letting agent did on a previous occasion. I didn't receive a copy of the tenancy agreement for several despite requesting this on numerous occasions. I have just received a statement (March 10) and noticed the agents have charged me for a renewal fee. When I questioned why they had taken this money, they informed me the tenant was on a 6 month agreement and had renewed it in January 10. To my amazement, they have renewed this for another 6 months without my authorisation or knowledge. Is there anything I can do? I have again asked why they didn't make it a 12 month agreement as I requested and if they would waiver the renewal fee, this was two days ago and they still haven't responded. Also, where do I stand with regards to issuing notice if I want to take the house back?

Snorkerz
31-03-2010, 19:51 PM
I have a Letting Agent who I pay a management fee to each month. When the agreement was intially discussed, I asked for a 12 month Assured Tenancy Agreement with a 6 month break clause to be included as with a other letting agent did on a previous occasion. I didn't receive a copy of the tenancy agreement for several despite requesting this on numerous occasions. I have just received a statement (March 10) and noticed the agents have charged me for a renewal fee. When I questioned why they had taken this money, they informed me the tenant was on a 6 month agreement and had renewed it in January 10. To my amazement, they have renewed this for another 6 months without my authorisation or knowledge. Is there anything I can do? I have again asked why they didn't make it a 12 month agreement as I requested and if they would waiver the renewal fee, this was two days ago and they still haven't responded. Also, where do I stand with regards to issuing notice if I want to take the house back?The answers to all this are in the fine print of your agency agreement. If the agency agreement doesn't provide for this fee, then you could consider court action via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

I would certainly consider dumping the agent - but only by the method described in the agreement.

PaulF
31-03-2010, 21:05 PM
The answers to all this are in the fine print of your agency agreement. If the agency agreement doesn't provide for this fee, then you could consider court action via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

I would certainly consider dumping the agent - but only by the method described in the agreement.I think for 'fine print' you might look at the 'core terms'. If they are hidden away and not prominent then you will definitely have a case for the agent to answer. See the recent OFT v Foxtons case. There is a thread about this on the forum, just put it into the search facility.