PDA

View Full Version : Tips in being a Landlord?

Mr_H
29-03-2010, 15:46 PM
Hi all. I'm looking for some advice in the art of being a landlord. This is new to me so please forgive any errors in my questions, hence me writing this for some guidance.
I am aware of most of the obligations of being a landlord but after doing further research, I am hoping you can help...

My example: Looking to rent a 1 bed flat (lets assume I have the required gas/elec and EPC certs).

Assume a move in date of 1st May 2010. Would like to have an AST Agreement for 6mths.

1) When is it normal practice to take receipt of a deposit (i.e £600.00, which I will place into the Deposit Protection Scheme) and what timescales is best done before the move in date?
2) I would like to issue a Section 21 along with the AST agreement and have read it is best to date this a day later than when the AST starts. Can these both be signed on the same day by the tenant? Again, what timescales is this best to be done? i.e. 2 weeks before the move in date.
3) Is a Section 21 only valid once a deposit is paid into a DPS?

Can you offer any steps I need to take (to avoid any pit-falls) prior to a tenant moves in.
Thank you for taking time in reading this.

mind the gap
29-03-2010, 18:27 PM
1.It is normal to take and protect the deposit at the same time as signing the tenancy agreement.
3. Yes it is.

As far as 2. goes I suggest you read thisthread:http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27175

For general landlording tips, you may find this thread useful too:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=23015&highlight=plunger

Snorkerz
29-03-2010, 19:29 PM
3) Is a Section 21 only valid once a deposit is paid into a DPS?

3. Yes it is.[/url]

As the question is a little vague - a s21 issued before the deposit is protected will never be valid.

mind the gap
29-03-2010, 21:04 PM
As the question is a little vague - a s21 issued before the deposit is protected will never be valid.
True! True! (Had to do it twice as not enough letters otherwise)