PDA

View Full Version : Tenants partner moving in - advice please

rich-t
28-03-2010, 17:25 PM
Hi
I have a very good tenant who has been renting from me for over 6 months. He is now asking if it's ok for his partner to move in.

He has stated that he would like to keep everything in his name.

In theory I have no problem with this however I just wanted to check what the norm is with this sort of thing and that I am not going to end up with any legal issues as a result. Do I need to take any precautions?

Do I request that my tenants partner is added to the lease or that a new lease is signed or do I just let their partner move in?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

mind the gap
28-03-2010, 18:41 PM
If I were you, I would ask to meet the partner, then assuming you are happy with her/him, agree to the request. If the current T has been able to afford the rent alone and you have had him credit checked, etc, there is no reason why he should not continue to do so. (If the worst came to the worst and you did at some point have to require him to leave, she would have no rights of tenure and would have to leave as well).

The alternative would be to terminate his AST by mutual agreement (yours and his) and start again with a new one in both their names - but that would not offer you any advantage as far as I can see, just them.

Is he still within the fixed term of his AST or has it become periodic?

P.Pilcher
28-03-2010, 19:11 PM
I fully agree with mind the gap on this one. I have two properties at the moment which are let out to tenants who have requested permission for friends to also occupy the property. Usually the reason is to help with the rent. I never have problems with this except to point out to the tenant that they are responsible for all their friend's actions with regard to damage e.t.c.
If push came to shove, I know that should eviction of the tenant prove necessary the bailiff will also require any person living in the property to leave as well as the tenant.

P.P.

rich-t
28-03-2010, 20:09 PM
Thank you very much for the replies, very helpfull.

Mind The Gap, the AST has moved to periodic. Does that affect your advice?

mind the gap
28-03-2010, 20:16 PM
Thank you very much for the replies, very helpfull.

Mind The Gap, the AST has moved to periodic. Does that affect your advice?

No; in fact, it means that you are in a slightly more secure position, if anything.

I hope it works out well for you all, anyway. Partner will probably contribute to rent & bills - it's all good!

rich-t
29-03-2010, 18:24 PM
Thank you very much for the advice Mind The Gap. I'll let my tenant know that it's all okay.

Regards.