PDA

View Full Version : Tenants Arguing

alidee
28-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Have an HMO property which I manage which has 6 bedrooms all with single people in them. Have just heard that one of the male tenants is being quite nasty to one of the female tenants - verbally at the moment - the reasons I have heard are quite petty. I have told her if it's that bad she should go to the police. Is there anything else I could or should be doing as an agent? I will be informing the landlord tomorrow that this has happened.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Alidee

remyrobson
28-03-2010, 12:17 PM
It's a pretty unpleasant situation for all the tenants. These things happen when people are house sharing, and unless it turns physical (in which case the police need to be involved), I think the house mates are going to have to work out their differences themselves, there's not much else that you can do. Maybe the LL could have a word with both parties but I imagine they will be told to mind their own business by the sounds of this T. If one individual is the cause of all the trouble then perhaps LL could consider replacing them at the end of their contract with someone more pleasant?

Snorkerz
28-03-2010, 12:53 PM
If the LL wanted to, he could try and remove the offending tenant by issuing a section 8 notice under ground 14. There is no 14 day notice period required, but LL should be aware that the final decision will lie with the judge - it is not a mandatory ground for possession.

mind the gap
28-03-2010, 13:52 PM
If the LL wanted to, he could try and remove the offending tenant by issuing a section 8 notice under ground 14. There is no 14 day notice period required, but LL should be aware that the final decision will lie with the judge - it is not a mandatory ground for possession.
I agree - and if it is simply a case of a personality clash with a bit of verbal unpleasantness thrown in, the judge may decide there is not actually sufficient proof for ground 14.

Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of having people who are effectively strangers share the communal areas of a home with each other. Whilst there is no excuse for bullying, there is understandably more scope for resentment/ bad feeling than there is with a group of friends or a family. There is presumably nobody else in the house who is willing to act as mediator?

(However... having said that, and having just spent the afternnoon sorting out arguments between my own sons as to who has imperfectly cleaned which part of the sty, the idea of sharing a house with complete strangers is beginning to have a certain appeal.:rolleyes:)

Why so complicated...?
29-03-2010, 14:50 PM
Reading this, I realise that it's not dissimilar to a situation I have in my HMO, except mine is more irritating to other tenants than nasty, and makes them all feel very comfortable. I'm planning to issue a Section 21(4)a Notice (his is a periodic tenancy) at the appropriate point in his month. Do I have to give a reason for requiring possession? I feel that doing so in this circumstance might be inflammatory, and create even more difficulty for myself and the other tenants, especially as they will have to endure it for the next 2+ months...

Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

mind the gap
29-03-2010, 16:02 PM
Reading this, I realise that it's not dissimilar to a situation I have in my HMO, except mine is more irritating to other tenants than nasty, and makes them all feel very comfortable. I'm planning to issue a Section 21(4)a Notice (his is a periodic tenancy) at the appropriate point in his month. Do I have to give a reason for requiring possession? I feel that doing so in this circumstance might be inflammatory, and create even more difficulty for myself and the other tenants, especially as they will have to endure it for the next 2+ months...

Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

No, you do not have to give him any reason, however, if he asks, why not just explain that you feel the mix of people is not ideal at present and that you are hoping to accommodate everyone's needs by having a change of tenant.

Whether or not he is told the complete truth will depend on how up front the others are willing to be with him. I do not think it is your job to counsel him about his irritating habits.

What exactly doe she do which irritates everyone else?

Why so complicated...?
29-03-2010, 17:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

This particular guy constantly complains about the other tenants to me, and frankly always gives a little too much information about what he has seen and heard, which makes me and the other tenants worry about their privacy. It's been reported that landline calls are being listened in to when none of the others but him are in and he can report on all their activities although he rarely leaves his room except to go to work. He complains that he can't park in the spot that he likes, that other tenants' items shouldn't be stored in the communal areas, and that occasional visitors shouldn't be allowed to stay over (although I can't be sure that he doesn't have visitors that stay!). He complains that I don't fulfil my landlord's responsibilities, largely because he doesn't get his way, I think. One month he didn't pay any rent because he wasn't happy, but paid it later in the month when I asked whether non-payment was in lieu of a month's notice. He has had one blazing face to face row with me, and made a number of aggressive phone calls.

The other tenants are happy with a bit of give and take - they are all professional and work shifts and get on well enough, and I'm happy if they're happy. They tend to ask permission to do anything unusual, and I have no problems with them - apart from that one person, they're great tenants. However, one gets annoyed that she cleans the bathroom to use herself, only for him to use it and leave it in a mess before she gets a chance, etc, etc. We all stay out of his way (I'm only there once a week to clean the communal areas and do odd jobs) because he barely speaks unless he has to, except to one chap, who he's rude and verbally aggressive to.

Basically, it's making life uncomfortable for me and for four perfectly reasonable people, and I think we'd all be happier without him. But it would be hard to explain that in a Section 21...!

mind the gap
29-03-2010, 18:08 PM
Basically, it's making life uncomfortable for me and for four perfectly reasonable people, and I think we'd all be happier without him. But it would be hard to explain that in a Section 21...!

Well, don't worry - you don't have to! Just serve the notice correctly and with luck he will be gone in a couple of months.

Why so complicated...?
29-03-2010, 23:34 PM
Great stuff! Many thanks.

M

jeffrey
01-04-2010, 16:13 PM
Have an HMO property which I manage which has 6 bedrooms all with single people in them. Have just heard that one of the male tenants is being quite nasty to one of the female tenants - verbally at the moment - the reasons I have heard are quite petty. I have told her if it's that bad she should go to the police. Is there anything else I could or should be doing as an agent? I will be informing the landlord tomorrow that this has happened.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Alidee
Does each occupier have own Letting Agreement, or is there a collective one?

mind the gap
01-04-2010, 16:30 PM
I was assuming separate ASTs, but only because OP talked of issuing him with a s21 (as opposed to issuing them all with one).
I agree, if it's a joint tenancy it will be more complicated to get rid of the troublemaker.

I assume you cannot use s8g14 on just one tenant in a joint tenancy, but that you have to end the tenancy for all of them - is that correct?

jeffrey
01-04-2010, 16:33 PM
I was assuming separate ASTs, but only because OP talked of issuing him with a s21 (as opposed to issuing them all with one).
I agree, if it's a joint tenancy it will be more complicated to get rid of the troublemaker.

I assume you cannot use s8g14 on just one tenant in a joint tenancy, but that you have to end the tenancy for all of them - is that correct?
Yes. If L grants a Letting agreement to T1 + T2, for example, the Agreement stands or falls as one. Of course, breach by T1 (e.g. non-payment of some rent lawfully due) entitles L to treat them both as in breach.