PDA

View Full Version : No heating and can't contact landlord

The Carrymores
27-03-2010, 17:18 PM
Hi, I'd be very grateful for any advice on how to resolve an issue I have with my landlord.

Almost two weeks ago the boiler in the flat I've been renting for the past year failed and since then I've been without heating. My problem is that the letting agent who manages the property tell me that they have been unable to contact the landlord to get authorisation for the installation of a new boiler, as the existing one cannot be repaired. They have tried his landline (no longer in use), mobile (constantly engaged) and have also written to him but have still had no response. Yesterday the agent contacted me to suggest that I pay for the new boiler to be installed (estimated cost £1500 + VAT) and don't pay rent until this is paid off.

I appreciate the situation that the agent is in, only being authorised to carry out repairs up to £150 and don't doubt their attempts at making contact with the landlord, but I don't consider paying for it myself a solution. Whilst this continues I am being left with additional costs incurred by using electrical heaters, something that I don't believe I should have to foot the bill for, considering I am paying for a flat with a working boiler, something that I am not actually receiving.

Is the letting agent obliged to give me details of the landlord's address etc. so that I can try contacting him myself?

I'm not considering with-holding or reducing rent but would it be reasonable to think that I'm entitled to a reduction when the landlord reappears?

Many thanks in advance.

jta
27-03-2010, 17:32 PM
I think your agent is talking good sense, however there are several steps to take if you go down this route so be careful, search for 'disrepair' on the forum and have a good read before you do anything, presumably your landlord is receiving his rent somehow, so he will notice when it does not appear for a couple of months and make himself known to you.

If it were me I think I would withhold a couple of months rent while I got the repair quotes etc. (with the agents knowledge of course). Then if the landlord has not surfaced go ahead and get them done.

It's coming up the fine weather now so it would not be too much of a hardship to manage for a couple of months as you are. Also add the fair extra costs you have been put to.

Worried T
27-03-2010, 18:54 PM
Can you get the agent to put their suggestion in writing? As they act on the LL's behalf, if they agree it's acceptable that should cover you?

jta
27-03-2010, 19:07 PM
Can you get the agent to put their suggestion in writing? As they act on the LL's behalf, if they agree it's acceptable that should cover you?

No good I'm afraid, the agent acts for the LL, as such he is bound by the LL's instructions. no more, no less.
The T can take action for himself providing he follows the correct procedure.