PDA

View Full Version : AST prepared by letting agent

scribbler
26-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I have just let a property using a letting agent. They have signed the tenancy agreement but is it a requirement for me as the landlord to have signed the AST as well?

Poppy35
26-03-2010, 08:14 AM
No, if you have instructed them as your agent then thats fine.

ram
26-03-2010, 14:26 PM
is it a requirement for me as the landlord to have signed the AST as well?

It is not a requirement, but surely you want to know what your tenants have signed, what it says about your obligations your agent has put on you.

Sub headings in the AST will, should or could include the following:

Tenant's obligations.
e.g. to pay the council tax, water, t.v. licence etc. etc.
Often they are told to keep the grass and hedges cut, even though a paid gardener may do this. ( silly agents !)
Repairs
e.g. Keep the property clean, tidy, etc
e.g. To notify landlord of dry rot, infestations etc.
e.g. not to block drains
Landlords Obligations
e.g. to have buildings insurance, Will not be liable for third party services etc, etc.
Tenancy Deposit Protection Prescribed Information

Housing benefit
etc etc

You realy NEED to know what the agent has said you are liable for.

The AST should include the following , as well.
Perform and observe all valid obligations, a copy of which of which has been provided to the tenant, of any headlease ( Your lease ) or covenant on the property etc etc,
So the tenants have to behave in the same manner that you have to, if you were living there.

The agents are paid by you, are your agents, you can ask for anything. And you want a copy of the lease they signed, no explanation as to why is needed.

The tenancy is between you and the tenant. The agents only act on your behalf, so get to see what you have said you are liable for in the AST.

R.a.M

Snorkerz
26-03-2010, 16:15 PM
R.a.M 's post is quite correct, though I would have thought such provisions should have been checked before any agreement was signed with the agency.

This is by no means criticism of OP if he didn't do so - I have failed to do so in the past - but just a warning to others.

ram
26-03-2010, 17:01 PM
signed the AST as well?

My Earlier post assumed you had not seen the AST, and apologies if you have seen it and studied it.
The tenancy is between you and the tenant, but your agents are acting on your behalf and sign on your behalf.

always good for new Landlords to ask for copy of blank AST to check, and ask questions regarding items you don't understand. Such as giving your tenants notice to quit before they have moved in ! !

See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27175

R.a.M.