PDA

View Full Version : My tenants are the Letting Agents!

KLW
25-03-2010, 19:12 PM
Hello there. New to this forum so be gentle with me!

I have a colleague who has a property that is rented to Northwood in Swindon who then sub let it to tenants. Today, it has transpired that Northwood are no longer trading in Swindon, the directors are setting up another rentals business in Swindon under a different name.

My colleague has been chasing them up for missed rental payments and they keep fobbing her off with excuses. They have not paid her for this month and despite promising her they would make the payments they have not arrived.

What is the best course of action for her to take on the management of the property herself? Now that Northwood are no longer trading, is her contract with them void? By virtue of the fact they have not paid her, surely they have broken the contract in any case?

Would anyone recommend she goes to their new offices and remove goods to the value of the debt and if they call the police, it will be seen as a civil matter?

Your feedback would be welcome, thanks very much! :)

westminster
25-03-2010, 20:26 PM
Would anyone recommend she goes to their new offices and remove goods to the value of the debt and if they call the police, it will be seen as a civil matter?
I don't have an answer for your other questions, but I can tell you that your friend is not entitled to go to someone's office and steal property. She will get arrested for theft.

jeffrey
26-03-2010, 13:25 PM
I suspect that KLW was thinking of distraint.