PDA

View Full Version : Individually let rooms

Tangalore
24-03-2010, 13:25 PM
Can someone please help me.

I rented out rooms in my house individually, i.e. each party had a seperate contract stating their room (i.e. 1st floor rear) and use of common parts. Notice has been served and I have allowed flexibility here; allowing tenants to move out early if they find somewhere. There is now only one tenant in a 4 bed house and he doesn't want to leave (why would he?). I am considering my options now as there is another month to run - am I able to move back in and use a room myself?

Remember the tenant has an AST for ONE ROOM only and use of common parts. he is the only tenant left.

I am living in a hotel meanwhile.

If I am not able to move back in, am I able to sub-let one of the other rooms?

I would hugely appreciate some clarity on this, I don;t fancy being homeless another month.

thanks

Keri

jeffrey
24-03-2010, 13:42 PM
If T has tenancy of only part, and the rest is vacant, you can either let the rest or reside there personally.

Snorkerz
24-03-2010, 16:15 PM
jeffrey is correct - althoug by doing so, you do not downgrade the existing tenants rights to those of "excluded occupier" by doing so.

If you want the tenant out, you should use the section 21 process. This can take 2 - 5 months depending on the tenant and their circumstances. It is only useable if any deposit taken after 6/4/07 was protected and, if your property should be licensed as a HMO, it is.