PDA

View Full Version : AST - Serving notice on joint tenants

Shirty Girl
22-03-2010, 22:29 PM
Hi,

I am just about to serve notice on my two joint tenants because I want to sell my flat. I am using the notice on this site and it says:

"Where there are joint tenants, each tenant should be served notice"

Does this mean that I have to fill in two separate notice forms, one for each of them, or does it just mean that I have to put both names on one form?

Many thanks,

Helen

mind the gap
22-03-2010, 22:40 PM
Hi,

I am just about to serve notice on my two joint tenants because I want to sell my flat. I am using the notice on this site and it says:

"Where there are joint tenants, each tenant should be served notice"

Does this mean that I have to fill in two separate notice forms, one for each of them, or does it just mean that I have to put both names on one form?

Many thanks,

Helen

My understanding is that with joint tenants it is not strictly necessary to serve notice on them both separately, but some LLs do this to avoid one tenant claiming they did not receive/see the notice. It's up to you.

havensRus
23-03-2010, 05:49 AM
I would put both names on the Notice, just as it is on the AST, and send one copy to each person separately. And get free proof of posting from PO.

jeffrey
23-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I would put both names on the Notice, just as it is on the AST, and send one copy to each person separately. And get free proof of posting from PO.
Yes. However, as both T1 and T2 reside at the premises, L could serve one joint-names Notice on both of them there.

Charles19
30-03-2010, 13:57 PM
Yes. However, as both T1 and T2 reside at the premises, L could serve one joint-names Notice on both of them there.
I would get them to both sign additional letter attached to Section 21 confirming 'receipt and acceptance of Section 21 Notice'. LL keeps this signed dated letter....no arguments then about who served or when etc. Water tight.
Provided you live near bye. If not maybe get a local agent to do similar.
Chas