PDA

View Full Version : Post

sheri1000
22-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi my previous tenants who vacated almost 3 months ago still have loads of mail coming to my flat - I think they are still using my address for correspondence. They keep emailing me to forward the mail to them but i am suspicious and have written return to sender on the envelopes because i dont know why they can't have their mail redirected to where they currently live. When i once visited the flat the girl did say that no one knew where she was moving to and wouldnt be able to trace her but i did not think anything of her comment. Is there anyway i can find out if my address has been blacklisted? Also how can i inform those writing to her that she has moved?

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Why don't you give Royal Mail a call and ask if and how they can stop mail coming to your door? They also might know if you're blacklisted. The other option would be to write the former tenant an email, saying you will keep all mail in a box for her. She can pick it up until the end of X. If she does not come, you throw it away. She cannot aks you to redirect mail to her on your expense.

sheri1000
22-03-2010, 10:24 AM
To be honest I do not want to give her the mail because I am not sure if she if using my address as hers - I have a feeling she has debt and does not want to be traced.

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Well I would contact the Royal Mail and ask them if it's possible not to get her letters. Plus I would go to a Citizen Advice Bureau, and get some legal advice.

The other thing I would do is: take all the letter for her, write in large letters: ADDRESS UNKNOWN on them and put them in the next post box. Do not pay P&P for them, of course.

sheri1000
22-03-2010, 10:29 AM
I am assuming that if i, return to sender, the post will stop.

islandgirl
22-03-2010, 10:30 AM
At risk of being shouted at by some people here, I would "accidentally" be opening some and seeing what she is up to. In error of course (forgot my glasses etc) Knowledge is power.

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I am assuming that if i, return to sender, the post will stop.
In the best of cases, it will.

At risk of being shouted at by some people here, I would "accidentally" be opening some and seeing what she is up to. In error of course (forgot my glasses etc) Knowledge is power.
:D I second that.

Ericthelobster
22-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Most likely the letters are from creditors - it's usually pretty obvious from the outside. If that's the case she (a) won't want them forwarding and (b) won't want the creditors to know her new address.

Eitherway, there's no reason why she can't pay X to the Royal Mail to redirect her mail, and no reason why you should be inconvenienced by having to do it for her. Tell her to get organised pronto or you'll simply put it back in the post marked 'gone away - return to sender'. That will probably eventually stop the flow for all but creditor letters, who will not take that at face value for obvious reasons. See many previous threads for strategies on dealing with that.

sheri1000
22-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Most likely the letters are from creditors - it's usually pretty obvious from the outside. If that's the case she (a) won't want them forwarding and (b) won't want the creditors to know her new address.

Eitherway, there's no reason why she can't pay X to the Royal Mail to redirect her mail, and no reason why you should be inconvenienced by having to do it for her. Tell her to get organised pronto or you'll simply put it back in the post marked 'gone away - return to sender'. That will probably eventually stop the flow for all but creditor letters, who will not take that at face value for obvious reasons. See many previous threads for strategies on dealing with that.I do have her relative's address who she claims to be living with. Her boyfriend claims to be living with his mother and gave me an address. I could inform her creditors of her new address. I was surprised when she said if i dont forward her letters to her she will take action against me. Not sure what action she is referring to.

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Rest assured, she cannot take action against you. It is HER responsibility to redirect her mail after moving house. It's not your duty to do that. There are no grounds for actions against you.

Eilean
22-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Hello,

I had a similiar problem when I first moved into the house I am currently living in. I wrote "Moved - return to sender" on all envelopes and put them back in the post. I would not bother doing anything for this woman, sheri, it is a waste of your time and you're not responsible for sorting her mail out.

jeffrey
22-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I had a similiar problem when I first moved into the house I am currently living in. I wrote "Moved - return to sender" on all envelopes and put them back in the post. I would not bother doing anything for this woman, sheri, it is a waste of your time and you're not responsible for sorting her mail out.
I agree. I'd not open any of them but simply stick them back in the letter-box to return to sender. Keep out of the disputes!

sheri1000
22-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree. I'd not open any of them but simply stick them back in the letter-box to return to sender. Keep out of the disputes!

True. Hopefully her and her problems will go away soon.

westminster
22-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Is there anyway i can find out if my address has been blacklisted?
Credit ratings are attached to people, not to addresses. Your property will not be 'blacklisted'.

westminster
22-03-2010, 11:26 AM
p.s. if any of the mail is unsolicited junk mail, then register the ex-tenant's name with the Mail Preference Service.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Ericthelobster
22-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I could inform her creditors of her new address. I was surprised when she said if i dont forward her letters to her she will take action against me. Not sure what action she is referring to.Nothing whatsoever. Cheeky *******.

Goodwill is the only reason you have for forwarding her mail and in the obvious absence of that I would absolutely not forward a single item to her.

islandgirl
22-03-2010, 14:03 PM
Not opening it is fine until you find out they have remortgaged the flat and scarpered with the money (it has been known!)

davidjohnbutton
22-03-2010, 14:34 PM
What I did was print off some letters with my name and address on and saying that the person to whol the letter is addressed no longer lives here. This item is returned free of charge, and that you will make a charge of £10 per item returned if within the next 10 days they do not stop sending mail addressed to the former resident.

On the other side - I wrote - Return to Sender - addressee no longer resident - important message on reverse.

I then stapled my letter to the delivered envelope without opening it and put them back in the mail.

3 companies decided to ignore me - they didnt ignore the court summons when they failed to pay the bill I sent each for £100 for 10 letters returned - and I won each case!!!

This was all when I moved into a repossessed house - the lender was still sending threatening letters to the bloke they repossessed off!!!! (genuinely accidentally opened one or two!!!!!)