PDA

View Full Version : LL does not keep his word

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:18 AM
So here is the problem: I have rented this pretty worn-down house. It needed painting, redecorating and a good load of cleaning. The LL does not really care about the house much as he's only the legal guardian of the girl, who owns the house by heritage. Anyhow, the agreement was that I do all the repainting, cleaning, gardening, etc - the whole decorative stuff. I pay for it, I do it. His part of the agreement was to put new floors in, as the carpets are all worn down and downright manky. I am planning on moving house 2nd April - and the carpet fitter still has not received the money from the LL. I am running on a quite tight schedule, and I do not really know what to do. I call the estate agent on a daily basis and bother them, but all they can do is chase him down and ask for the money.

What am I supposed to do? I need advice!

jeffrey
22-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Are you sure that the supposed L is legally competent to let? This sounds rather worrying; you need more information.

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Well, as far as the letting agency is concerned he is. I have asked them before we rented the house, and they sais he is. He administrates the property until the girl is of legal age to do it herself.

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Anyone with some advice please?

westminster
22-03-2010, 12:58 PM
His part of the agreement was to put new floors in, as the carpets are all worn down and downright manky. I am planning on moving house 2nd April - and the carpet fitter still has not received the money from the LL. I am running on a quite tight schedule, and I do not really know what to do. I call the estate agent on a daily basis and bother them, but all they can do is chase him down and ask for the money.

What am I supposed to do? I need advice!

I don't understand the situation. Were carpets ordered by you, in your name, on the understanding that the LL would pay the bill? Or did LL order the carpets in his name - in which case why are you bothered whether he pays or not?

Was any of this agreement for you to pay £x and LL to pay £x in writing?

And why are you moving out after having spent loads of money doing up the property? Did you do it in lieu of paying a cash rent?

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 13:24 PM
The story is: I am about to move IN the house i have done up over the past 3 weeks. The agreement with the LL was I do it up (painting, redecorating, gardening) and in return he orders new carpets, pays for them, and has a carpet fitter come to the property to put them in.
I have fulfilled my part of the agreement. He has not. The carpet fitter will not do anyhting until the bill's paid. Understandable. So he is waiting for the payment. This payment has not been made. So until the LL has not paid, I will not get the carpets. It's as easy as that. So now I am sitting here and nothing happens. My move-in date is drawing closer, and I cannot move in without the carpets.

westminster
22-03-2010, 13:31 PM
You haven't answered my question.

Was any of this agreement for you to pay £x and LL to pay £x in writing?

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 13:34 PM
Sorry, for the confusion. I DO NOT pay anything. And yes, the agreement that he puts in new carpets is noted in the files.

jeffrey
22-03-2010, 14:11 PM
Sorry, for the confusion. I DO NOT pay anything. And yes, the agreement that he puts in new carpets is noted in the files.
...but not part of any contractual Agreement with you?

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 14:19 PM
Yes it is in the contract :)

westminster
22-03-2010, 14:23 PM
Yes it is in the contract :)

You mean the tenancy contract, signed by the landlord?

What does it actually say - the exact words in the contract about the landlord installing/paying for carpets?

SMG1979
22-03-2010, 14:32 PM
Yes, that one. I do not know what it says word by word. I do not have my copy of the agreement with me.

Wrigglesworth
22-03-2010, 18:35 PM
Well you need to get it and read it, because the answer to your question is in there!