PDA

View Full Version : Council tax transfer

rich hand
20-03-2010, 16:43 PM
By law does the landlord need to inform the Council of a new tenant so that council tax can be billed to the correct person or ultimately is it the responsibilty of the council to address the property and make contact with who ever lives there?

jeffrey
21-03-2010, 19:53 PM
Depends. If old T was being billed, it's better for L not to get involved. If L was being billed, change of T makes no difference.

rich hand
22-03-2010, 17:53 PM
Well, I have been billed incorrectly for the past 3 years but have only just received the bills! I have stated that the tenants should be paying but the council have stated they have not had confirmation of the tenants. One tenant has now left.

mind the gap
22-03-2010, 21:52 PM
Well, I have been billed incorrectly for the past 3 years but have only just received the bills! I have stated that the tenants should be paying but the council have stated they have not had confirmation of the tenants. One tenant has now left.

Send to the council copies of the tenancy agreement(s) showing who was living in the property during the period in question. If you have forwarding addresses for any/all of them, I would supply the council with those too.

havensRus
23-03-2010, 05:43 AM
By law does the landlord need to inform the Council of a new tenant so that council tax can be billed to the correct person or ultimately is it the responsibilty of the council to address the property and make contact with who ever lives there?

It is good practice for LL to inform Council of change of tenant. Otherwise, you end up with the scenario you've now got, which results in a waste of your time trying to rectify it.

I have standard letter templates that I use to notify all the relevant organisations for the utilities gas/elec/water whenever there is a change of occupier.