PDA

View Full Version : Not given EPC what does that mean?

rebecca.483
18-03-2010, 00:40 AM
I entered tenancy april 2009 have read a little and seen that I should have had an EPC this did not happen is this a law or just guidelines? I read trading standards fines landlord £200 if not given is that correct?

Ericthelobster
18-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I entered tenancy april 2009 have read a little and seen that I should have had an EPC this did not happen is this a law or just guidelines? I read trading standards fines landlord £200 if not given is that correct?

It is indeed the law. However no landlord in the history of the universe has ever encountered a tenant who has shown the slightest interest in seeing an EPC. I've never heard of a landlord being fined for not producing one although you're correct that it's possible.

What's your beef - do you have a reason for wanting to see an EPC, or are you, for whatever reason, just looking for a way to drop your LL in the dark stuff?

PaulF
18-03-2010, 08:48 AM
EPCs are another unnecessary level of bureaucracy.

rebecca.483
18-03-2010, 10:27 AM
LL has been a lot of hassel and LA I am currently tring to sort out claim for deposit not being registered but if they wriggle out thanks to the law being toothless I want them to have some thing to think about in the way they conduct their business.

fletchj
18-03-2010, 11:13 AM
LL has been a lot of hassel and LA I am currently tring to sort out claim for deposit not being registered but if they wriggle out thanks to the law being toothless I want them to have some thing to think about in the way they conduct their business.

Well fair enough if you insist but note that the possible penalty is a fine not damages so even if succesful you don't get the money it goes into the public purse.

In any event if you insist the LL can easily remedy the situation by instructing the relevant muppet to wander round and recommend you put low energy bulbs in, dosn't really seem worth the trouble, but up to you.

SALL
18-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Well fair enough if you insist but note that the possible penalty is a fine not damages so even if succesful you don't get the money it goes into the public purse.

In any event if you insist the LL can easily remedy the situation by instructing the relevant muppet to wander round and recommend you put low energy bulbs in, dosn't really seem worth the trouble, but up to you.

Don't think any money would ever touch the public purse. Government departments will easily spend more than £200 on Paperwork to fine and recover the £200.