PDA

View Full Version : Remortgaging main home to buy property

Smileyface
17-03-2010, 14:58 PM
My husband and I have raised a mortgage by remortgaging the property we live in. We are currently buying a flat we intend to let out. We have an offset flexible mortgage. In doing it this way can someone advise me what to bear in mind from an income tax point of view? The property will be only in my name as I am a 20% tax payer and my husband is in the 40% band. I have seen a few comments about how you can own the property jointly but have the income allocated 99%:1% in favour of the 20% tax payer and I am wondering whether this would be a fairer solution for us. Also, would it not work better taxwise if we owned in joint names as when selling in the future we would have our two individual allowances when paying capital gains tax? Or could I gift 50% of the property to my husband before this happens? Many thanks in advance for any advice concerning this situation. We are novices at this. It is OK to use a mortgage on our main residence to fund a 'buy to let' and offset that mortgage against the rental income, isn't it?:rolleyes:

jeffrey
17-03-2010, 15:09 PM
Wrong forum. Repost in TAX.

mind the gap
17-03-2010, 16:47 PM
Sorry - wrong forum. Please re-post in the 'Tax Questions' forum. Thank you! :)

jeffrey
17-03-2010, 17:19 PM
Sorry - wrong forum. Please re-post in the 'Tax Questions' forum. Thank you!
You're forgiven.