PDA

View Full Version : Court Possesion Order Granted - 14 days!

andies
17-03-2010, 13:39 PM
Hi, my landlord has now been granted possession of our rented house within 14 days and need some advice again please!

Due to pretty crap financial circumstances, we had to go to the council for help when the LL served a section 21 (served as he wishes to sell not because of arrears), they advised us not to move and wait until the LL applies for possession to the court. They did this last month and it was originally 'struck out' as they did not word the section 21 correctly.

Now I have just received a letter saying that ruling has been overturned and possession has been granted within 14 days (even though I defended it as we have extenuating circs and this was granted 8 days ago as well). Have gone straight back to council and have now been told to ignore the court order and wait until the LL has instructed bailiffs!! FFS this is getting quite stressful. Anyone know how long it takes to arrange for bailiffs to evict and also will they turn up announced :eek:? Should I inform our letting agent that we have advised to stay put again so they don't turn up at the door on the 14th day telling us to get out?

Have been informed by our local advice centre that we will obviously be responsible for all the costs incurred by the LL so will be landed with a massive bill as well. We have not made ourselves intentionally homeless but can't afford to rent anywhere else due to deposit etc, and agency fees (husband does work btw). Any advice on how to deal with the council's lack of help??

silvercar
17-03-2010, 14:39 PM
Standard response from the council for you to wait until baliffs arrive. It is there way of ensuring they only help those in desparate need and hope people will sort themselves out before that time.

You are in a no win situation, either you wait until the baliffs arrive and then be liable for all the landlords costs, or you sort yourselves out a private rental. Does your council offer a bond scheme for those without deposits?

p_cas
17-03-2010, 17:38 PM
.......... but can't afford to rent anywhere else due to deposit etc, and agency fees (husband does work btw). Any advice on how to deal with the council's lack of help??

But, if you have looked after your present property carefully you should get your deposit back in full shortly after leaving. A short term bank overdraft would enable you to pay a deposit on another rental property. Also, you don't necessarily need to use agents when renting a property. Dealing directly with the LL will reduce your costs considerably.