PDA

View Full Version : Staying on for a few weeks at end of contract, advice needed.

duomaxwell
17-03-2010, 00:23 AM
I was about to ask my landlord if I can stay 2-3 weeks longer at end of contract but wanted to know my rights, if he says no what will happen?

Reason being is I have finally found suitable student accomodation after about 6 weeks of checking since a landlord has had his current tenants want to move into another house together.

House is very reasonably priced, no summer retainer and lowish deposit and close to my uni campus(about 15-20 minutes at most) and near my favourite club and bar in town that I no longer go to as its like 15-20 minutes walk from current house and directly off town centre(like a 2-3 minute walk)

That isnt the question though sorry, what I have been told by prospective landlord is the current tenants arent moving out till mid/late July and my current contract ends on the last day of June.

I forsee 2 problems 1 is that the only other tenant in current house is quite untidy and one of his friends has put 2 cigarette burns in living room carpet which I am worried about quite small but noticable and my landlord is the sort who complains about anything even things that arent anywhere near as bad as he says i.e told me my room was untidy despite it being spotless and organised just because I didnt make my bed one day as I slept in and rushed to uni, and claimed my first 2 rent payments came late though they were sent faster payments over 2 weeks before they were due(so should be 2 weeks early)

So I dont think he will be willing to let me stay but he may given that its more cash for him, but it creates the problem where if I do stay on I dont know what will happen about deposits, me and current tenant have seperate contracts and no inventory though LL claims there is one that the previous tenants signed though I guess thats not valid for me, and I am also worried that other tenant will not bother cleaning up as the extent of his cleaning up the entire 3 and a half months I have been here is hooving living room 3 times after I pestered him enough and wiping sides in kitchens about 4 times and washing his dishes about once a week so they pile up.

So it all comes down to the deposit as I am worried he may try and keep it though I have photos of when I moved in and will do when I move out.

So I guess my questions are, if I want to stay a few weeks more and landlord says no what can I do? and if he trys to keep the deposit what shall I do?

seafossil
17-03-2010, 06:19 AM
So I guess my questions are, if I want to stay a few weeks more and landlord says no what can I do? and if he trys to keep the deposit what shall I do?

Have you given him Notice that you are moving out? Under most Agreements, you have to give the landlord at least one month's notice, but there's noting stopping you from giving 6 weeks' notice and moving out mid month as long as your pay whatever prorata/agreed amount in rent.

My understanding is that a fixed term contract becomes a rolling contract upon expiry of the fixed term until one side serves notice on the other? Wait for other posters on this point though...

Your deposit, - I'm assuming you're not a lodger - should be held by one of the deposit schemes. Try TDS/Mydeposits/DPS. Google them. Find out who holds it and what the procedure is for getting it back at the end of the tenancy.

Good luck.

SF.

duomaxwell
17-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Have you given him Notice that you are moving out? Under most Agreements, you have to give the landlord at least one month's notice, but there's noting stopping you from giving 6 weeks' notice and moving out mid month as long as your pay whatever prorata/agreed amount in rent.

My understanding is that a fixed term contract becomes a rolling contract upon expiry of the fixed term until one side serves notice on the other? Wait for other posters on this point though...

Your deposit, - I'm assuming you're not a lodger - should be held by one of the deposit schemes. Try TDS/Mydeposits/DPS. Google them. Find out who holds it and what the procedure is for getting it back at the end of the tenancy.

Good luck.

SF.

Its a student tenancy that runs out end of June, wasnt sure if notice period was the same.

Knew about the deposit schemes but not had to use them yet when moving and wasnt sure if I had to apply to one after I leave or get the deposit back on day I move out.

seafossil
17-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Its a student tenancy that runs out end of June, wasnt sure if notice period was the same.

Knew about the deposit schemes but not had to use them yet when moving and wasnt sure if I had to apply to one after I leave or get the deposit back on day I move out.

Google the three schemes - get their contact email addresses. Write an email giving details of the tenancy and property, your name, landlord name and so forth and ask them to confirm who holds it. Once confirmed, found out that scheme's procedures for deposit retrieval and possible disputes.

SF

Ericthelobster
17-03-2010, 06:51 AM
So I dont think he will be willing to let me stay but he may given that its more cash for himGiven that this is a student property, have you considered the strong likelihood that he has new tenants already signed up to take over the property when you are due to move out?

If that's the case then if you decide to outstay your welcome then it's going to cause massive problems for him and the new student(s) due to move in, so I hardly think your LL will be very happy.

seafossil
17-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I stand corrected re. Notice.

Another poster has pointed out that your Notice apparently has to be timed to end with rental periods.

Best double check this point!

Sorry.

SF

westminster
17-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Moderator, please merge with OP's previous thread discussing the same subject
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25575

westminster
17-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Your deposit, ...should be held by one of the deposit schemes. Try TDS/Mydeposits/DPS. Google them. Find out who holds it and what the procedure is for getting it back at the end of the tenancy.

Note that OP has aleady been advised on previous threads about his deposit. He revives the subject every time he makes a new thread, as well as the untidy other tenant. Usually he complains there's no lock on his door as well, for some reason not (yet) mentioned in this thread.

duomaxwell
17-03-2010, 16:13 PM
Note that OP has aleady been advised on previous threads about his deposit. He revives the subject every time he makes a new thread, as well as the untidy other tenant. Usually he complains there's no lock on his door as well, for some reason not (yet) mentioned in this thread.

Actually they are NOT discussing the same subject so they should not be merged, each time it is a different issue, they may seem similar but they arent the same.

I just mention the history each time and try and get vaguer on it.

And I have listened about my deposit FFS I was waiting to see a Shelter advisor to get clear ideas on my rights as I get told different things on old threads. I didnt mention why theres no lock on this thread as its not releveant and didnt bump old posts as people ignore them and just read an OP then go on that.

Moderator1
18-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Thirteen threads have been started by you. Please state which of them can be merged.