PDA

View Full Version : Joint tenancy agreement

Ravster
15-03-2010, 19:13 PM
Hi there,

I came across this website while doing a search on google. I know this is for landlords but thought I'd post this question because you may be able to help.

Basically, myself and four others are going back home for easter holiday (we live in a student house) but as the house we live in is currently for sale, the letting agency is wanting to have the property viewed whilst we are away, which means handing our keys over and giving them access to our rooms. This wouldn't be a problem if they would, in the past, lock our bedroom doors on their way out and just generally act a in a professional manner, but they haven't.

What I want to know is where we stand? We don't want to give them our keys and just want them to start the viewings when we come back (after approx 4 weeks). Can we actually turn around and say "no"? We're worried that they may go behind our backs and ask the landlord for keys whilst we are away.

tom999
15-03-2010, 19:23 PM
You may refuse access, however, a better approach would be to come to a compromise, e.g. to allow access when you are present for viewings.

Read this thread for a legal perspective: A landlord's right of access (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26719)

Ravster
15-03-2010, 19:27 PM
Is there any sort of legal document that can back that assertion up?

jeffrey
16-03-2010, 11:57 AM
No. It's simply a consequence of:
a. the Tenancy Agreement (probably containing an inbuilt consent clause);
b. T's revocation of consent;
c. L's obligation to give T 'quiet enjoyment' during the tenancy; and
d. the law on harassment.