PDA

View Full Version : Ccj

Evergreen
13-03-2010, 19:07 PM
one of my tenants has left without paying their rent

i have her solicitors details

can i chase her rent by writing to her solicitor as i dont know her future address

can i get a CCJ on her? someone told me the CCJ will be on her name at the property she was at! is this true? or will the CCJ remain with her wherever she goes until she pays her rent arrears?

thanks

davidjohnbutton
13-03-2010, 19:26 PM
Firstly, there is no DUTY on a solicitor to reveal his client's current address. There is also no duty to accept service of any document by the solicitor for his client. You could try asking them if they will forward a letter from you to their client but its doubful they will in a debt-collection situation.

The CCJ remains listed for 6 years at the property at which you sue her, or another property which she lists as one she is living at if you serve on the old address and she gets it forwarded to her new address and subsequently loses the claim you make against her.
It does not follow the debtor around otherwise.

Evergreen
13-03-2010, 22:39 PM
out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?

is it worth it?

Ericthelobster
13-03-2010, 23:09 PM
out of interest, would anyone on landlord zone bother to chase someone for lost rent after they have left their property?In principle yes - but it depends on a combination of many factors such as how much they owe; whether you know their whereabouts and if not, how hard/expensive it will be to locate them; and their actual ability to pay once you've caught up with them.

davidjohnbutton
13-03-2010, 23:09 PM
If they are not working and have no savings or shares that can be siezed - its throwing good money after bad.

If they are employed - attach earnings. If they subsequently own a property, Charging Order and potentially Order for Sale.

No point in throwing good money after bad - main thing is to get them out of your house if they are not paying rent.