PDA

View Full Version : Landlord's right to see tenancy application

Ann.C
11-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Apologies for duplicating this question.

However, can anyone confirm if I have a right to see my tenants application for tenancy of my property. Letting Agent have told me that I can't due to data protection.

The reason I want to see it is because I am currently in the process of evicting them for non-payment of rent and know that I may possibly need their dates of birth for the tracing agent as I fully expect them to "do a runner" once they get the papers from MCOL.

jeffrey
11-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, you can. Your Agents are just that; whatever they know, you're entitled to know too.

Ann.C
11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks once again Jeffrey. I will put my request to them in writing.

islandgirl
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Tthey probably have something to hide. The last agent I used did not take appropriate references / details as I had requested in writing. I expect something similar has happened here.

Ann.C
11-03-2010, 13:16 PM
I am sure they do have something to hide!

I did get a copy of the tenant's references (if you could call them that) but at least I now know where they claimed to have worked. Even then they were poor copies and I am sure one of the letters has some details whitened out. However, to stand a good chance of tracing them at a later date I really need their dates of birth I believe.

I have learnt so much from this Forum and can't thank everyone enough who has ever responded to my postings especially Jeffrey. Once I finally get my property back I shall go about getting new tenants in a very different and informed way.

jeffrey
11-03-2010, 13:34 PM
If they spout about 'section 35', they're wrong. Several LZ threads explain this.

westminster
11-03-2010, 17:53 PM
I'm in the process of vetting a prospective tenant, and the agent today sent me the T's written application form. They send me everything they see.

The agency is an ARLA member, long-established, big chain, and seem fully aware of the legalities of the business. They have never withheld anything from me on the basis of data protection.