PDA

View Full Version : Renting holiday house in winter. Rent adjustments?

Lilo
11-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Good morning all. Not a problem as such, but I really don't know the answer to this one.

We're going to rent a house near the sea as a permanent home. I've been chatting to a LL (neighbour of a friend) who is new to letting. He has put his house with an agent and has bookings for a few weeks in the summer so far. LL is new to letting and a bit vague. Meanwhile I can hear the rattle of the cash registers. I don't think very highly of this particular agent.

He seems to think that if we rented it as permanent tenants he could adjust the rent up and down to match the seasonal adjustments set by the agent. I tried very tactfully to suggest that this isn't done with an AST, but a fixed rent is agreed between you both.

Your thoughts?

Lilo
11-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean we were going to rent it in the winter only. Misleading header.

jeffrey
11-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Good morning all. Not a problem as such, but I really don't know the answer to this one.

We're going to rent a house near the sea as a permanent home. I've been chatting to a LL (neighbour of a friend) who is new to letting. He has put his house with an agent and has bookings for a few weeks in the summer so far. LL is new to letting and a bit vague. Meanwhile I can hear the rattle of the cash registers. I don't think very highly of this particular agent.

He seems to think that if we rented it as permanent tenants he could adjust the rent up and down to match the seasonal adjustments set by the agent. I tried very tactfully to suggest that this isn't done with an AST, but a fixed rent is agreed between you both.

Your thoughts?
The rent is whatever the Agreement says it is. I suppose that you could specify a rent varying from season to season (bit I wouldn't recommend it, in view of complexity of drafting and likelihood of disputes!)

Lilo
11-03-2010, 15:45 PM
Thanks Jeffrey. I don't really want to get involved with complicated rates setting, and I think he'd be better off letting at a good rent to the same tenant rather than the uncertainty and hassle of holiday lets. Oh well. I expect I'll manage to keep quiet next time I see him. I just thought it was odd to expect people to adjust their rent by the month.

P.Pilcher
11-03-2010, 16:42 PM
Holiday lets are very different from normal lettings to a tenant who makes the premises his/her primary residence. For a start, an ordinary tenant is responsible for all outgoings (water, electricity, gas, council tax, T.V. license and so on.) The landlord of a holiday let is responsible for these items, but the property is only let for very short periods to persons whose primary residence is elsewhere. I suggest you mention this to your potential landlord and also suggest he charge you the market rate that others pay for similar properties for such lets in the area. If you research what this is then you will be in a position to effectively negociate the rent you will be paying each and every month. Remind him that with such a tenancy, his administration costs will be less as no longer has to find tenants each week, he will have no winter void periods, and will not have to pay his council tax, T.V. license and water rates despite receiving no rental income.

P.P.