PDA

View Full Version : T trying to serve Notice on L who won't accept it

XxDonnaxX
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I am beginning to get really worried now, i spoke with my landlord regarding a notice period and said i had to give her, she was saying 2 months where really it was just 1 full rent month. I am now on a rolling contract

I spoke to her originally on 2nd March saying that i wanted to give my notice in and thats when she said it was a 2 month notice period, i managed to speak with my new landlord and he was fine with that and has dated the tenency to start on the 22nd April.

So she had a verbal saying that i wanted to give my notice in, ive tried to get hold of her since basically asking her how do i issue the notice in writing to her whether it be by special delievery or collection and she is choosing not to get back to any calls, txt's or emails. I even went to try and find her house yesterday so i could just pop it through the door.

Ive sent the notice via special delievery now as she wasn't getting back to me, so my worry is now is what if she says that the dates ive put down for my notice isn't the right dates for the period where do i stand with that, she is choosing not to get back to me regardless of what kind of communication im sending her.

Thanx in advance for any answers.

westminster
08-03-2010, 13:17 PM
I am beginning to get really worried now, i spoke with my landlord regarding a notice period and said i had to give her, she was saying 2 months where really it was just 1 full rent month. I am now on a rolling contract

I assume you are in England/Wales, and the rent is less than £2,083.33 pcm, and the fixed term contract has expired?

If so you must give LL at least one month's rent, in writing, to expire at the end of a rental 'period'.

The periods begin the day after the fixed term expired, so if, for example it expired on 15th January, the first 'period' would run 16th Jan - 15th Feb, and so on month by month. Your notice in this example, if you served it today, would have to end on 15th April (in order to give at least one month, and also to expire at the end of a rental period). And if you moved out on or before 15th April, the tenancy would end and you would owe no further rent.

If you read your tenancy agreement, there is likely to be an address for serving notices, and also it may specify how notices should be served, for example, by first class post.

XxDonnaxX
08-03-2010, 13:51 PM
Im now on a rolling periodic tenency as my fixed term ended in november 2009. Ive dated my notice from the 2nd March when i first managed to contact her and thats when she come up with that i had to give 2 months, ive dated it to 22nd april, as my rent is due to be paid the 23rd March

Yes i am in England/wales

westminster
08-03-2010, 14:05 PM
Im now on a rolling periodic tenency as my fixed term ended in november 2009. Ive dated my notice from the 2nd March when i first managed to contact her and thats when she come up with that i had to give 2 months, ive dated it to 22nd april, as my rent is due to be paid the 23rd March

Yes i am in England/wales

If the fixed term ended on 22nd November 2009, and you posted the notice on 2nd March 2010, with a notice expiry date of 22nd April 2010 (i.e. the date you said you would be leaving), that is correct, and the landlady is wrong.

unhappydisgustingWOW
08-03-2010, 18:48 PM
If your landlady's new to the game she might be getting it mixed up with the notice she would have to give you as a tenant, which is 2 months.