PDA

View Full Version : LL keeping some of deposit. Unfair!

michelle_stt
05-03-2010, 13:57 PM
I had my final inspection today.
The Letting agent and LL agreed I had improved the property greatly and everything is immaculate.

Yet I have recieved a phone call telling me they are keeping £100 of my deposit to have the carpets cleaned.

I have lived there for 3 years. The carpets were dirty and grubby when we moved in, the bedroom carpet was full of iron burns.

I have had all the carpets cleaned before I left. The 2 bedroom carpets are immaculate, except the iron burns.

Admittedly the stairs and walk through dining room do have slight marks from when we moved.

Yet they want to clean all the carpets.

The previous tenant lived there for 2years and had the same carpet then.

Can I dispute this?

NoMoreFaith
05-03-2010, 15:38 PM
Can you clarify that this is an english standard assured shorthold tenancy.

If so, has the landlord protected the deposit with one of the three schemes (if it started after 6th April 2007).

Finally, and most pertinant, was there an inventory at the start of the tenancy, and if so, what does it say about the carpets.

michelle_stt
05-03-2010, 15:44 PM
Yes, it was an Assured shorthold tenancy which then went on a rolling month basis.
My deposit is protected.
No inventory was taken at all.

mind the gap
05-03-2010, 16:09 PM
Yes, it was an Assured shorthold tenancy which then went on a rolling month basis.
My deposit is protected.
No inventory was taken at all.
In that case raise, just a dispute via the protection scheme and you will have a very good case for getting your deposit back in full. The scheme arbitrators tend to come down like a ton of brick on sloppy unprofessional LLs who do not organise proper check-in inventories. Just contact the scheme and say you wish to dispute any deductions from your deposit.

You might find this thread useful:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26285&highlight=disputes