PDA

View Full Version : Oven not working since moving in

SF-02
03-03-2010, 16:41 PM
I moved into a flat a couple of weeks ago and the gas oven did not work. We have rang and emailed a few times but the problem is still not resolved. It seems like they are fobbing us off. We were told by the letting agency today that the landlord says the oven was working at xmas. I'm not sure if they are insinuating we broke it but it certainly wasn't us and we rang and emailed a day after moving in to let them know. The question I have is if it is broken does the landlord have to replace it? The flat came unfurnished though did include white goods. I can't see anything in the agreement about replacing it.

One more thing - it is tiresome having to go through the agency all the time trying to get this resolved who don't always answer their phones or reply to emails. By law does the landlords name have to be on the tenancy agreement, or does the letting agent's address suffice? I have had a look online and found sites which suggest the landlords name has to be there but nothing definite.

Thanks

jeffrey
03-03-2010, 16:56 PM
There is a difference between the mains gas supply and the oven apparatus. L is liable for:
a. the mains gas supply because s.11 of LTA 1985 says so; and
b. the oven apparatus but only if the Letting Agreement says so.

westminster
03-03-2010, 17:27 PM
By law does the landlords name have to be on the tenancy agreement, or does the letting agent's address suffice? I have had a look online and found sites which suggest the landlords name has to be there but nothing definite.

Thanks
The tenant must be given, in writing, an address in England/Wales for serving notices. This is usually included in the tenancy agreement, and can be an agent's address.

The agent must provide tenant, within 21 days of a written request, with the landlord's name and address (either home or, if a company, the main office). He does not have to give you a phone number or email address. There is also no guarantee the landlord will reply, when he is paying an agent to manage the property.

See
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/landlord's_address.htm

mind the gap
03-03-2010, 20:33 PM
Is there not a check-in inventory which mentions the oven? Unless it specifically notes that the oven was broken at check-in, is it not unreasonable of the LL/agent to claim it was, and to refuse to mend/replace it?

karenlisam
03-03-2010, 22:20 PM
Could the letting agency actually BE the landlord???

This happened to someone else in another thread but I can't find it for toffee!!

mind the gap
03-03-2010, 22:40 PM
Could the letting agency actually BE the landlord???

This happened to someone else in another thread but I can't find it for toffee!!

It is possible, but not really sigificant here. (Plus, OP has been told by the letting agent that the LL said/thought the oven worked at Christmas, which suggests they are not the same person).

Until we know whether there is an inventory we cannot really advise further.

westminster
04-03-2010, 00:27 AM
Here's the oven-door-thread, to remind us all that none of us know the answer....

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25654

SF-02
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. There was no inventory upon moving in. They mentioned about a moving out inventory and if one was given and then checked by them we would have to pay extra so I presume by refusing that we didn't get a moving in inventory.
The landlord is seprate to the agent. We saw him when viewing the flat and he seemed like a decent guy and we would probably have better luck going through him.