PDA

View Full Version : no forwarding address...arrrrrgggghhhh!!!!

redrentals
03-03-2010, 16:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice if possible. I have had some tenants who have left but not provided a forwarding address. They have left the house in a bit of a bad state, wouldn't meet me to complete the inventory and have only returned one set of keys. They left on monday and i am already being inundated with debt demands and court orders.

They obviously left no forwarding address but i have her mum's address (from when she witnessed the contracts) and her work address. Can i write to her at these addresses and forward her mail to these addresses?

She thinks she is being clever by not giving me a forwarding address, but i really want to know if i can write to her at her work or Mum's address. I am sure the bailiffs will appear at some point cos i've just found she has left £500 debt for Gas!!!

Thanks everyone, :) XXX.

Mrs Jones
03-03-2010, 16:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice if possible. I have had some tenants who have left but not provided a forwarding address. They have left the house in a bit of a bad state, wouldn't meet me to complete the inventory and have only returned one set of keys. They left on monday and i am already being inundated with debt demands and court orders.

They obviously left no forwarding address but i have her mum's address (from when she witnessed the contracts) and her work address. Can i write to her at these addresses and forward her mail to these addresses?

She thinks she is being clever by not giving me a forwarding address, but i really want to know if i can write to her at her work or Mum's address. I am sure the bailiffs will appear at some point cos i've just found she has left £500 debt for Gas!!!

Just don't let anyone (eg. BG) try to bully you into paying her debts!!

jrsteeve
03-03-2010, 16:25 PM
I'd just give them their parents address, let the parents chase them! Keep a copy of the signed tenancy agreement on file though just to help if evidence is needed.

westminster
03-03-2010, 17:20 PM
She thinks she is being clever by not giving me a forwarding address, but i really want to know if i can write to her at her work or Mum's address.
Yes, you can send a letter (mark the envelope private & confidential) but if you are intending to issue a claim against the tenant for the damage, then you cannot serve the claim by post to the work address.

This means you can't use Money Claim Online. You would have to get the claim issued at the local county court, and ask for the papers to be given to you for service. Then hire a 'process server' who would serve the claim in person, i.e. physically hand it to the tenant. Easy to find one if you google.

Ericthelobster
03-03-2010, 19:07 PM
Yes, you can send a letter (mark the envelope private & confidential) but if you are intending to issue a claim against the tenant for the damage, then you cannot serve the claim by post to the work address. Well, I recently successfully got an Attachment of Earnings order against a former tenant who had declined to provide a forwarding address.

As advised on this forum I wrote to the court asking for permission to cite the defendant's work address; I received a reply saying that if I applied, the judge would consider it (and a subsequent phone call elicited the information that success was not guaranteed and that I'd lose my fee if the judge declined). It's all gone through OK now, and I'm still none the wiser as to where the toe-rag currently lives.

house275
03-03-2010, 20:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

Didn't you use a letting agent ?
You say the property is in a bit of a state are you hoping to recover costs from the deposit ?
Why will you need to take her to court if you held a deposit
Is it only forwarding mail ? simply return to sender
It's not your job to forward her mail if she didn't bother with mail redirection
And her gas bill is just that HER bill not yours

islandgirl
03-03-2010, 23:07 PM
I would just pass mum and dad's details to EVERYONE and let them get on with it - I doubt you have any chance of being paid for the mess so move on...

house275
03-03-2010, 23:11 PM
I believe that is illegal,especially if the person in question has not & does not live at the parents address.It is harassment surely ?

If they are tenants they are of legal age to rent if LL is silly enough to not get a guarantor why is that the parents fault ?

westminster
04-03-2010, 00:02 AM
Well, I recently successfully got an Attachment of Earnings order against a former tenant who had declined to provide a forwarding address.

As advised on this forum I wrote to the court asking for permission to cite the defendant's work address; I received a reply saying that if I applied, the judge would consider it (and a subsequent phone call elicited the information that success was not guaranteed and that I'd lose my fee if the judge declined). It's all gone through OK now, and I'm still none the wiser as to where the toe-rag currently lives.

I think the not-serving-by-post-at-work-address is a privacy thing, so you'd have to have exhausted other options first.

Good news about the Attachment of Earnings success :)

westminster
04-03-2010, 00:04 AM
I believe that is illegal,especially if the person in question has not & does not live at the parents address.It is harassment surely ?
Not harassment; a mild inconvenience on a par with receiving a lot of junk mail.