PDA

View Full Version : Tenant is unemployed and cannot pay the rent

reddragon
03-06-2006, 14:32 PM
I have just had a text from the tenants to say they aren't working and that they will not have to pay us anything, rent arrears etc. Is there any way we can prove they are working? Otherwise when we get possession the court will probably just order them to pay £2 a week and we will end up losing that house and our home here. I also think they will do some damage to the property if they haven't already done so.

thanks

zoe
03-06-2006, 22:06 PM
I have just had a text from the tenants to say they aren't working and that they will not have to pay us anything, rent arrears etc. Is there any way we can prove they are working? Otherwise when we get possession the court will probably just order them to pay £2 a week and we will end up losing that house and our home here. I also think they will do some damage to the property if they haven't already done so.

thanks

Why would you need to proove that they are working ? TBH as a LL you should be aware that there are risks and that some tenants wont pay. You should be concentrating on limiting your loss now. So evict quickly, clean up and then relet.

If you wish to sell get it on the market now

If they dont want to pay the debt they can just avoid doing so by lying - not nice but that is teh world we live in.

nask70
03-06-2006, 22:17 PM
i also had this problem where i had a tenant who claimed that he works for a bank, for which i checked it out it was true. however, one time i was doing some minor repairs and had noticed his passport he had a different name--anyway a week lateri gave him a notice to leave on the grouds that the repairs could not be done with him living in the property--anyway he refused so i got him out by some heavy handed tactics which worked also i took his tv hoover and any other eletrical items that were of use for me that i can sell on ebay. this is my way..

Muse
03-06-2006, 22:38 PM
i also had this problem where i had a tenant who claimed that he works for a bank, for which i checked it out it was true. however, one time i was doing some minor repairs and had noticed his passport he had a different name--anyway a week lateri gave him a notice to leave on the grouds that the repairs could not be done with him living in the property--anyway he refused so i got him out by some heavy handed tactics which worked also i took his tv hoover and any other eletrical items that were of use for me that i can sell on ebay. this is my way..

Please do not attempt to do this Reddragon, any half clued up tenant will make mincemeat out of you in court.

Jennifer_M
03-06-2006, 23:06 PM

Illegal eviction and theft can carry jail sentences.