View Full Version : do I need to be a registered landlord?

01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Hi all. I've been reading these forums for a couple of hours now. Great site. My husband and I currently own a house and have built up quite a bit of equity. My daughter is soon leaving school and is going to a sixth form grammar which although is not too far away is quite awkward to get to. We want to move over to that area, (which is a nicer area than ours anyway, so it really suits us all) We want to remortgage, with a bank that do consent to let, take the extra money for a deposit on the new house, and rent this out. My question ATM is do we need to be registered landlords? We want to do this as professionally as possible from the start. provide a decent house for a decent tenant. Also do I need a HIP to rent it out? Or as I believe, is it called an ERC? I'm slowly getting my head round taxation issues etc. I'm finding all this quite challenging but also quite fun!

01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I've found out the answer already. I dont need to be registered, and I need an EPC. Thanks:)

01-03-2010, 14:24 PM
There is also:

gas safety certificate
deposit protection
fire safety
electrical safety
valid insurance
awareness of LL's statutory repairing obligations
awareness of T's right to quiet enjoyment
thorough credit/reference checks, month rent in advance and deposit funds cleared before signing contract with T
if using an agent, use one who is a member of ARLA or comparable professional body

just for starters.