PDA

View Full Version : Smoke alarm requirements

karenlisam
28-02-2010, 19:14 PM
I am currently in the middle of an official letter to LL about work which needs to be done and want to make sure everything is covered so he can't let the house to others in this state when we leave

Smoke alarms - am I correct in assuming these should be fitted as standard and is there any set part of the landlord / tenant act I can quote at him to get him to move quickly

Thanks

mind the gap
28-02-2010, 19:38 PM
I am currently in the middle of an official letter to LL about work which needs to be done and want to make sure everything is covered so he can't let the house to others in this state when we leave

Smoke alarms - am I correct in assuming these should be fitted as standard and is there any set part of the landlord / tenant act I can quote at him to get him to move quickly

Thanks
It depends on the kind of property as to whether they are required or not, and what type. They are certainly a good idea.

If you can describe the property, we may be able to give you more specific information.

karenlisam
28-02-2010, 19:43 PM
Its a three bedroom two story with one family of three in it

I've read around a bit more and seem to have found that its a good idea but not a legal requirement but let me know if I'm wrong

Given that his shonky lighting resulted in smoke pouring from the ceiling lights and we are now left with no downsairs ceiling lights and no response from him 4 days after informing him of this then I am formally requesting smoke alarms fitted along with formally demanding the lighting is looked at by a qualified professional so we'll see what happens as I don't think he has to but think its reasonable given the circs

mind the gap
28-02-2010, 20:12 PM
Its a three bedroom two story with one family of three in it

I've read around a bit more and seem to have found that its a good idea but not a legal requirement but let me know if I'm wrong

Given that his shonky lighting resulted in smoke pouring from the ceiling lights and we are now left with no downsairs ceiling lights and no response from him 4 days after informing him of this then I am formally requesting smoke alarms fitted along with formally demanding the lighting is looked at by a qualified professional so we'll see what happens as I don't think he has to but think its reasonable given the circs

He is legally required to ensure that the electrical installations and any electrical equipment he provides in the property are safe. Most LLs do this by having an electrical safety check done which will produce and electrical safety certificate, athough this is not in itself a legal requirement. The consensus on this forum seems to be that such a certificate is the best safeguard for Ts (and for the LL against being sued if - heaven forbid - there is an accident with the electrics).

If LL refuses to provide smoke alarms, I would invest in some myself, if I were you. They're cheap enough and save lives. You can always take them with you when you leave.

karenlisam
28-02-2010, 20:25 PM
Thanks

He has no regard for the law

He was informed 4 days ago that we were without lighting and has not responded yet despite many call from me
After 2 days of not being able to get LL to respond I paid for someone to come round and tell us what needs doing and the electrician got an electric shock even with the electric was turned off at the fusebox as there is a live wire running into the ceiling light in the kitchen.

Trying to get EHO to declare the house unsafe this week so we cab break the contract and get out of here earlier than July but also want to do everything in writing and keep EHO informed so he can't just let some other poor family move in

Trust me to get the shonky LL when there seem to be so many good ones on here!!!!

Ps Thanks - good point about the smoke alarms. Got so wrapped up in what he should be doing that I am forgetting its actually my family in danger. Will buy them tomorrow

mind the gap
28-02-2010, 20:29 PM
Thanks

He has no regard for the law

He was informed 4 days ago that we were without lighting and has not responded yet despite many call from me
After 2 days of not being able to get LL to respond I paid for someone to come round and tell us what needs doing and the electrician got an electric shock even with the electric was turned off at the fusebox as there is a live wire running into the ceiling light in the kitchen.

Trying to get EHO to declare the house unsafe this week so we cab break the contract and get out of here earlier than July but also want to do everything in writing and keep EHO informed so he can't just let some other poor family move in

Trust me to get the shonky LL when there seem to be so many good ones on here!!!!

If the EHO does not come round as a matter of urgency (like this week), I think you would have a strong case for informing LL (in writing) that due to the urgency of the repairs, you will obtain three quotes for the work and instruct the best quote within 7 days unless he contacts you with an alternative. Tell him you will withold rent if need be to pay for the repairs. You are legally entitled to do this but you have to follow the correct procedure and keep a record of all communication.

You could also offer him the option of releasing you early from your contract 'so that he can liaise with the EHO himself about making the house safe'. If he agrees, make sure you get it in writing and signed.

Good luck - it sounds nightmarish.

karenlisam
28-02-2010, 23:36 PM
Thanks

I've drafted a letter tonight asking him to release me from my contract in May ( the earliest I can afford to move) , outlining all the repairs I am still waiting for with notes dating back to July about repairs or the lack of and his actions and broken promises , and requesting a copy of the scheme in which my desposit is in and also a copy of the gas safety record within 14 days. have also asked that if he has not deposited the deposit then he confirm in writing this can be used for last months rent or repay it asap.
There was more than I thought. 12 pages of stuff and I've been consise rather than ramble

Have also put in writing that if repairs are not done while we are still in the house then will have to go to the EHO but will be going anyway tomorrow

I don't want to pay for any repairs ( have done £300 so far from marches rent with his agreement) as I'll end up out of pocket.

Hopefully I've covered everything

Pleaaaaaaaaaassssse release me lllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeet me go!!!!!!!!

Lawcruncher
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM

I was given the following information by a fire officer:

Generally if the property is let as a unit housing one family there is no requirement for a fire alarm to be fitted; if however it is divided up and there are multiple occupiers it would be an HMO if more than four occupiers and would be subject to the local authority regulations which would include a fire alarm.

For less than 4 there is still a recommendation to fit an alarm system. This generally consists of smoke detection in the common areas and heat detection in the kitchen.

If there are repeated nuisance alarms it may be that there is a smoke detector in the kitchen (not recommended) or the kitchen door is kept open and smoke drifts into the hall setting off the smoke detector in that location.
You can get more intelligent detectors which are less prone to false alarms, but generally toasters are a nuisance in these circumstances. It also depends on the size of the accommodation as alarms will be more prevalent in cramped circumstances.

General advice is:
· only heat detection in kitchen (will only activate in a fire)
· smoke detector in hall sited where not subject to nuisance alarms (not right outside kitchen door
· kitchen door should be a fire door and should be kept shut (especially when cooking)
· repeated unwanted alarm activations lead to complacency and a lack of response during a real alarm

If you really want to get into the subject go to http://www.yorkrla.co.uk/files/National%20Fire%20Safety%20Guidance%20-%20Jul%2008.pdf

stefenlara
11-03-2010, 15:40 PM
Hey all,

Here is my question express..?? Somebody answer me plzz..!!

What might be the major concerns we shud take to decide which one is good for our home..!! Can it be fixed anywhere or any place limitations..!! and I heard kitchen is the best place why..?? What do you mean by intelligent detectors there..??

Lara..!!

kayak
11-03-2010, 20:57 PM
Lara,

Admit you are spamming, if not, I don't understand!

There is no legal requirement for smoke detectors in a single let house, i.e. a family. However, it is common and indeed where I work, that the council/local authority would assess the risk under the HHSRS.

In this type of property they would be very likely to request via an informal notice, a Grade D LD3 system. Grade D means the detectors are mains wired and interlinked and LD3 means they are on escape routes only. If you were a group of people sharing this would change.

I fully agree with the information on what detectors go where, although there is an arguement that heat detectors can be used in lounges.

Your best source of advice for fire safety is LACORS who produce excellent guidance, but it is just that. If you are worried about your families safety then it is worth buying some!

If you are going to write a complaint letter, you have to get it down from 12 pages, it just won't have any effect. I'd probably bin it :)

John