PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Immersion Tank

taheemr
28-02-2010, 17:37 PM
Hi all,

Can someone please advise if I can fit a timer to a very basic immersion tank, so that switching on / off can be done via timer.

Any help with timer type would be great.

Many Thanks

Ericthelobster
28-02-2010, 18:17 PM
Can someone please advise if I can fit a timer to a very basic immersion tank, so that switching on / off can be done via timer.

Any help with timer type would be great.

Yes, no problem: eg, there's one at Screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92265/Electrical-Supplies/Timers/Digital-Weekly-Immersion-Timer) (see instructions here (http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/44/p4764244.pdf))

There is an alternative type which I prefer (for use when the immersion heater is for use on occasional basis, ie as a booster to a boiler or as a back up in the case of boiler failure) where you just press a button and it goes on for (eg) 1 or 2 hours only as required- ie you don't need to remember to turn it off after the tank's heated up - available from TLC (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOE30.html).

taheemr
28-02-2010, 19:13 PM
Thanks for that,

Screwfix also do an analogue one for £11.

Ericthelobster
01-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Screwfix also do an analogue one for £11.Yes - only a 24-hr one though, rather than the 7-day, 42-event model: for the sake of £8 it would be barmy and - dare I say it, if you're the landlord - incredibly cheapskate to go for that instead!

taheemr
01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
yes i am abit cheap of a cheap skate.

Do you need to consider anything else when fitting these devices.

Thanks

P.Pilcher
01-03-2010, 17:21 PM
Yes- remember that immersion heaters take a large current so makesure that all your connection screws are really tight and that the wires are fully inserted into the terminal holes.

P.P.

P.Pilcher
01-03-2010, 17:21 PM
Yes- remember that immersion heaters take a large current so makesure that all your connection screws are really tight and that the wires are fully inserted into the terminal holes.
If in doubt, get an electrician to do it for you.

P.P.

Wickerman
01-03-2010, 21:58 PM
This would come under part P if the immersion is in the bathroom or kitchen - you are modifying you are modifying an electrical system.

The point about the screws is spot on however make sure the timer is rated for the circuit load!

westminster
01-03-2010, 22:14 PM
This would come under part P if the immersion is in the bathroom or kitchen - you are modifying you are modifying an electrical system.

The point about the screws is spot on however make sure the timer is rated for the circuit load!
I'm about to get the same thing done, i.e. fit a timer to an immersion heater. Plumber has to do an overhaul, so I've asked him to fit a timer too. My question is, is a Gas Safety Registered plumber also qualified to do the electrical bit? He's a very bona fide type plumber but just wanted to double check that it's standard for them to do this work as well...

Immersion heater in this case is in a hall cupboard adjoining the bathroom but not actually in the bathroom.

P.Pilcher
01-03-2010, 23:47 PM
Well, if it is there it isn't part P so any Tom, Dick or Harry can do it, but his qualification in gasfitting won't help him much. Anyway, if you are confident that he is competent, then let him go ahead. It isn't after all rocket science.

P.P.