PDA

View Full Version : Isn't a fridge a basic requirement in a flat?

Iotrez
26-02-2010, 00:40 AM
Hi all,

I recently moved into a £400 a month flat.

When I viewed the flat previous tenant who was still living here showed me around. There was a fridge in the kitchinette and I foolishly assumed it came with the flat.

However when I moved in I noticed that there was no fridge.

Shouldn't I expect a fridge to be included at 400 a month? Isn't it a really basic thing such as a shower that you would expect to be included?

johnboy
26-02-2010, 07:37 AM
No not unless it stated it had a fridge on any advertising or the agent told you it had one.

You should have asked and the agent should have made it clear what came with the flat.

Ericthelobster
26-02-2010, 07:40 AM
When I viewed the flat previous tenant who was still living here showed me around. There was a fridge in the kitchinette and I foolishly assumed it came with the flat.

However when I moved in I noticed that there was no fridge.

Shouldn't I expect a fridge to be included at 400 a month? Isn't it a really basic thing such as a shower that you would expect to be included?

Unless the property is being let fully furnished, then certainly not.

That said, if when you viewed the property it was empty of furniture apart from the fridge, and you weren't advised that the fridge would not be included, then you'd have a very good case for complaint.

jeffrey
26-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Was the refrigerator owned by L or by old T?

westminster
26-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Buy a cheap 2nd hand fridge on ebay. I got a small one last year for £30, works perfectly. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and the fridge looks clean in the photos.

Paragon
26-02-2010, 13:41 PM
Buy a cheap 2nd hand fridge on ebay. I got a small one last year for £30, works perfectly. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and the fridge looks clean in the photos.

Also, check Freecycle. Never know what you find on there. I gave away a large Conrad 3 piece suite and a couple of young lads picked it up and gave me a lovely bottle of red wine.

Soot2006
26-02-2010, 17:35 PM
I got a fridge from Freecycle!

Was someone's old beer fridge in the garage and they decided to have a clearout!

Ericthelobster
26-02-2010, 21:31 PM
Buy a cheap 2nd hand fridge on ebay. I got a small one last year for £30, works perfectly.You was robbed! Mine was only a fiver, and it's still chugging away happily three years later (this was for an 'overflow' fridge in my personal garage by the way, nothing to do with landlording, before anyone starts casting aspersions...!)

HairyLandlord
27-02-2010, 20:32 PM

No.

Outside of the structural elements of a house, walls, roof, doors, windows, the minimum legal requirements of a home offered as a residential let are those revolving around bathing, sanitary waste and space heating.

Anything else that could be offered is purely optional and unless the provision of something has been agreed on in advance or it is included in an inventory, you should not assume anything about anything you see inside of a home, whenever you see it.

Otherwise you risk getting into the situation that you now find yourself in.

The amount of rent you are paying is irrelevant to the issue you have.

Moderator1
07-03-2010, 21:09 PM
Less-serious posts have been moved/copied from this thread to http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26679.