PDA

View Full Version : Deposit account Tenants Negligence

Joemoney
24-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I am shortly re-claiming one of my properties.
In November 2009 I received an urgent message telling me that the electrics had blown. I immediately assigned an electrician to sort this problem out. It would seem that the outside set of lights had blown the consumer unit because water had entered the light fixing. This water had entered because a globe on the light cluster had been broken. Three months prior to this mishap I had informed the tenants, on two occasions about this broken globe. Their reply being "These globes are not our responsibility". I beg to differ with them on this point and kept all written communication for this reason.
My question is, can I legally deduct some, or all of this electricians invoice from the tenants deposit?. This invoice came to 680 GBPs a lot of money and in my opinion only due to the tenants neglect. Any help would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

jghomer
24-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Why was the light broken in the first place? Did the tenants break it?

And why on earth didn't the consumer unit just trip out instead of blowing up?!

Mrs Jones
24-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I am curious to know why you think that repairing this exterior light fixture is not your responsibility?

jeffrey
24-02-2010, 14:36 PM
I am curious to know why you think that repairing this exterior light fixture is not your responsibility?
Perhaps because it's apparatus and not supply equipment within the scope of s.11 of LTA 1985.