PDA

View Full Version : Water pipe problems.

e30six
23-02-2010, 21:29 PM
Hi all, am having a bit of a problem and wanted your opinions please..
Moved into a property last August and thames water fitted a water meter, now all was fine until first bill came in which was mega high, after they came and checked their work etc the conclusion was that the supply pipe into the house has a leak somewhere between meter and kitchen stop valve. I have informed the landlord who is saying its not her problem as she didn't ask for a meter and that she didn't want her drive dug up etc. The leak now has to be fixed within 6 weeks and if not then they will do it themselves and bill me- the billpayer. Having checked the contract it says the landlord is responsible for all repairs to pipes etc.
How do i stand on this though as if she refuses as it will be me that is billed?
Many thanks

ram
23-02-2010, 21:54 PM
water pipe into the house has a leak I have informed the landlord who is saying its not her problem .How do i stand on this though as if she refuses as it will be me that is billed?
Many thanks

Others may have covered this before, or can advise, but you have to stress to the Water board that you are a tenant, responsible ONLY for paying for water used, state you do not own the building or surrouding grounds, therefore you do not own the ground that the water pipe pases through, or even own the water pipe, and have no authority to dig up the grounds, Tell them that the owner of both items is your Landlady, and forward her address to them, stating the Landlady owns the offending water pipe, and to forward the bill to the owner.

Copy letter to landlady, including the waterboards letter saying has to be fixed within 6 weeks, also stressing that permanent water leaks can cause subsidence / undermine the foundations. etc. with or without a water meter.

Other than that, and you must inform water board who the owner is, then if a bill is received, they have it on record that you are only a tenant and not the owner of the property. Just return said bill stating again the name and address of the owner of the property.

Difficult for you to accept that things will be o.k., but you are not responsible if you are only renting rooms in a house / flat. and irrespective of the post below, there is a leak that you are not responsible for.

R.a.M.

grouse
23-02-2010, 21:54 PM
Did you ask them to install a water meter, and did you get written permission from your LL first?
There is usually a term in the tenancy agreement that prevents you changing utility contracts without permission.
Difficult one to enforce though!!

asquithea
23-02-2010, 22:00 PM
We went over this a week or so back. Tenants have the legal right to have a meter installed if they have a tenancy of 6 months or more, whatever the LL or tenancy agreement says.

Seems to me that this would be an appropriate time to go through the procedure for deducting the cost of repairs from the rent (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/tenants_doing_repairs#4).

grouse
23-02-2010, 22:11 PM
We went over this a week or so back. Tenants have the legal right to have a meter installed if they have a tenancy of 6 months or more, whatever the LL or tenancy agreement says.

Seems to me that this would be an appropriate time to go through the procedure for deducting the cost of repairs from the rent (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/tenants_doing_repairs#4).

Discussed here

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26106&highlight=water+meter

If you moved in in August, you could potentially leave in Feb (if on a 6 month AST) leaving the LL with a property she would have difficulty renting to a family because of the water meter. If you did this in one of mine I'm afraid to say you would be out at the first opportunity....