PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice

katrinahale
23-02-2010, 15:44 PM
Hi

I moved into a reted house last nov on a 6 mth tenancy, have always paid rent on time. I have had a few issues with the property which the landlord has not always been good at sorting. Last night I recieved a note through the letterbox saying " This letter is to confirm that as from 6th May we will not be renewing your tenancy " I thought I had to be issued with a section 21 notice.
So my query, is this legal and right and also if I find alternative accommadation before 6th May when the 6 mths is up do I still have to pay rent till then even if I move out before.
Thanks for your help.

JK0
23-02-2010, 15:49 PM
Unless you can come to some arrangement with your Landlord, yes you will have to pay rent for the full six months.

jeffrey
23-02-2010, 16:08 PM
Hi

I moved into a reted house last nov on a 6 mth tenancy, have always paid rent on time. I have had a few issues with the property which the landlord has not always been good at sorting. Last night I recieved a note through the letterbox saying " This letter is to confirm that as from 6th May we will not be renewing your tenancy " I thought I had to be issued with a section 21 notice.
So my query, is this legal and right and also if I find alternative accommadation before 6th May when the 6 mths is up do I still have to pay rent till then even if I move out before.
Thanks for your help.
A Notice under s.21 is needed only if:
a. L wants you to go; but
b. you (T) don't want to.

katrinahale
23-02-2010, 16:23 PM
Hi Thanks for that whilst I never planned on this being long term I really did not want to move just yet. Having said that I will not make any waves and try to find alternative accomadation but if I do move out before so as not to be akward am I still liable for rent until 6th may if so I may as well ask for a section 21.

jghomer
23-02-2010, 16:28 PM
Yes you are still liable till 6th may but I suspect if your LL wants you gone he may be glad of an earlier departure and waive this?!

Hardly seems worth making him issue a S21. You'll ask him, he'll issue one, and all you've achieved is possibly looking pedantic?

JK0
23-02-2010, 16:28 PM
You need to get it in writing from the Landlord if he is willing to let you leave early, and if he will waive the rent. Otherwise, as you suspect, you may be out of pocket.

katrinahale
23-02-2010, 16:35 PM
Hi

Looking pedantic does not cost me money whereas moving out early may do. The landlord knew I wanted to stay untill the summer at least because of my situation but she did not even call to discuss the matter just shoved a note through the door. Whist I would prefer to be amicable about this she has not even returned my calls.

jghomer
23-02-2010, 18:00 PM
Well I guess in that case then you could always wait till 6th May and tell her you're not leaving as she didn't issue the correct notice, and hey presto you have your summer at the house! Or most of it!

Ericthelobster
23-02-2010, 18:05 PM
Looking pedantic does not cost me moneyBut what possible benefit is there to you in informing the LL she's not given you the required form of notice?!