PDA

View Full Version : Bit worried about prospective gumtree ad for accomodation, advice please

dekaspace
23-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I want to move back home but also surprise parents.

I have tried loads of online sites and almost everywhere is shared flats or lodgers and VERY expensive i.e for a flatshare as much as £100 a week(one wanted £150 a week yeah right!) or websites wanted paid membership and each email is like £3-£5 to send! The area must of incresed in prices quickly since I first moved there 7 years ago and paid £45 a week for a bedsit which I liked but others thought it grotty and you could pay £65-£75 a week for a luxury flat even then with flatscreen tvs or get a 2 bedroom furnished flat for £75 a week or in the dive area of town £40 a week for a 2 bedroom flat.

Even tried local paper one and saw a few but LL's arent responding.

Found a cheap place on gumtree but the LL sounds shifty, he only wants £75 a week and £50 deposit and each rooms comes with free internet and a tv and dvd combi.

This sounds VERY cheap and hope this doesnt sound racist but he has a non Brittish accent and a bit broken English and also the fact he wants cash in hand not via the bank or cheque!

jghomer
23-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not exactly sure of the problem here.

Perhaps you should view the property and make an assessment.

Maybe it's cheap because it's completely run down, or maybe it's a genuine bargain from a LL that needs a tenant quickly.

dekaspace
23-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure of the problem here.

Perhaps you should view the property and make an assessment.

Maybe it's cheap because it's completely run down, or maybe it's a genuine bargain from a LL that needs a tenant quickly.

It was mainly the fact it seems too good to be true plus the entire house is empty right now and he wanted cash in hand.

jeffrey
23-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Best to be certain that L:
a. actually owns the property in his own sole name; and
b. has a 'sublet' consent from his mortgagee (and lessor, if it's leasehold).

Cipher
23-02-2010, 13:09 PM
OP
Does LL want cash for all rent payments or the first one only? I prefer cash for the first transaction and then setup recurring payments via bank account.

As long as you get receipts for Cash I dont think its a problem.

Just because your landlord isnt fluent in english or of UK descent doesnt really matter too much as long you getting a fair deal from it.

Jeffrey
Should a T be concerned if the property is in a joint name but only one owner is listed as a Landlord?

jeffrey
23-02-2010, 14:08 PM
Should a T be concerned if the property is in a joint name but only one owner is listed as a Landlord?
Maybe, so ask sole L for other joint-owner's written authority.