PDA

View Full Version : tenant putting property at fire risk

susanne
23-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a possession order for today after nearly 9 months of a tenant truly from hell. Of course she is not going to move out today.

Last night she called at 9.00pm because the boiler had not come on and water was spouting out of an external pipe on the kitchen wall. She demanded an emergency plumber. I instructed her to switch off the water, which she did, and i said i would attend today.

I arrived at 8.30am, with a builder, there was no answer. All 4 cooker electric rings were on full, the kitchen is so full of clutter, and wooden shelves abut the cooker. The kitchen window was open. My builder let himself in and we switched off the cooker.

The tenant was in bed, and when she realised we were in the property she was "not happy" - i tried to explain that i thought leaving the cooker on was a dangerous fire risk - but she refused to listen and threw us out. We were denied access to the kitchen and so did not fix the boiler.

do i have to fix this boiler now that i have a possession order ?

is there any kind of emergency bailiffs warrant i can apply for for a speedier eviction .....

i am seriousy worried about the fire risk to the property ..

JK0
23-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Well if she kicked you out after asking you to call, I would not lose too much sleep about the boiler!

Others will be able to help with your other queries.

chappers2341
23-02-2010, 14:35 PM
If you now have a court order for her to leave then you can now instruct the bailiffs to physically remove her.

susanne
23-02-2010, 14:52 PM
visit to the county court is first on the agenda for tomorrow......

i have an appointment with my gas engineer for thursday morning - lets see if she lets us in then..... if she doesn't she will be the one that is cold...... not me .. wonder how long it will take to get parts....... mmmmmmm

fletchj
23-02-2010, 15:44 PM
If she dosn't let you in on Thursday I suggest you do the following. Write to her posting a copy from 2 post offices with proof of postage stating that you have attended on date x and date y with name of builder and name of plumber to attend to the reported problem. You have not been allowed access so now take it that the problem is resolved - you will be taking no further action without a guarantee of access.

This is just in case she gets stroppy later on claiming disrepair when you are chasing her for any debt.

susanne
23-02-2010, 16:00 PM
thanks... i have today emailed her legal representative a copy of a letter to my tenant and have asked leg rep to make contact as i can never make contact with tenant.... puts the ball firmly in their court..... have also made contact with EHO to inform them of the situation - so hopefully have pre-empted that route of grumblings....

what does worry me is the leaving on of the cooker rings.. and the fire risk.... i doubt there is a current battery in the smoke alarm..... she wont stop using the cooker for heating till the boiler is fixed....

mind the gap
23-02-2010, 17:38 PM
thanks... i have today emailed her legal representative a copy of a letter to my tenant and have asked leg rep to make contact as i can never make contact with tenant.... puts the ball firmly in their court..... have also made contact with EHO to inform them of the situation - so hopefully have pre-empted that route of grumblings....

what does worry me is the leaving on of the cooker rings.. and the fire risk.... i doubt there is a current battery in the smoke alarm..... she wont stop using the cooker for heating till the boiler is fixed....

I suppose all you can do is write to her (with appropriate proof, as advised above) offering to supply some convector heaters to use as alternative heating until the boiler is fixed. Explain that you have serious conccerns about her leaving the cooker rings on unattended, because it is a fire risk. She may not reply, but at least you will not have it on your consicence if anything does happen and she accuses you later of leaving her freezing cold and obliged to put the cooker rings on all day.