PDA

View Full Version : Yale rim cylinders - how to key alike?

Telometer
22-02-2010, 14:08 PM
Anybody know how to key alike Yale (or equivalent) rim cylinder locks. It surely cannot be difficult; I've a box full of different locks and would like them all to become the same.

Thanks.

ram
22-02-2010, 14:43 PM
Anybody know how to key alike Yale (or equivalent) rim cylinder locks. It surely cannot be difficult; I've a box full of different locks and would like them all to become the same.

any good supplier can issue cylinder locks with same key. Usualy from stock, up to 4 locks with the same key. ( correct me if I have been ill informed ) Not what you wanted to hear, but any alteration would involve filing the 7 pins, if you can get at them ! But sometimes a none related key can open an altered lock because of the altered pin lengths, so not a secure investment !

I only pay up to £5 for standard front door key cylinder lock so common key new locks with 4 with same key wont be much. ( Keep away from B+Q )

And you get brand new unworn locks and unworn keys.

Telometer
22-02-2010, 15:45 PM
If you look around the net, there is an extra charge for keying alike. Keyed alike are about twice the price (£10) of keyed differently (£5), and as they're not for serious security purposes I'm quite happy with them otherwise.

I need 10 alike, and some suppliers make it quite clear that they're doing the change themselves.

P.Pilcher
22-02-2010, 15:47 PM
Any good locksmith should be able to supply any number of yale type cylinders which are all fitted with the same key.

P.P.

chappers2341
22-02-2010, 19:45 PM
Theres loads of information on the net you will probably have to buy arekeying kit for the locks you have as you will need to replace the pins in the lock with different sized ones to match your key.
If you have one lock with its key it should be a pretty straight forward job of just copying the pin arrangement in that lock .