PDA

View Full Version : Want To Rent But Unsure About Reference

dlmforever
22-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am currently living with my partner and mother in law, and we are looking to move out in the coming months as we now both have jobs and can afford to. The problem is before we lived here we lived at a flat.

The flat was falling apart and everytime we told the letting agents (who would not allow us to contact the landlord direct) they said they would sort it out but nothing ever came to pass. Then last year in september they sent us a letter saying the landlord was attempting to sell the property so they could no longer guarantee our tenancy. Because we wanted reasonable notice we decided to leave ourselves but this was an impulse decision so we just left without notice. Now our tenancy agreement was only in my name so my partner would be fine checks wise but the problem is that she is on a lowish wage so we both need to apply. I was just thinking that when we go to try for another property they will contact the letting agents who will possibly give me a bad reference which could stop me getting a property. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks

Mike

jta
22-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I think the proverb about making your own bed and lying in it comes to mind here.

You could explain the circumstances to a new prospective LL or LA, if you have a good payment record, show them your statements. If you have previous landlords you have been tenants of, ask them for references.

Poppy
22-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Had the fixed term come to an end by the time you upped and left?

You should expect that the landlord will either state that you left without notice or will not give a reference at all. Nothing you can do about that.

Like jta said if you can demonstrate to future prospective landlords that you paid rent regularly, someone will take that into consideration.

For your next property you must examine everything a lot more carefully. If you find faults, get it in writing that they will be repaired before you move in. You preferably need to see that all issues have been dealt with before signing any tenancy agreement. This approach helps to avoid disappointment.