PDA

View Full Version : Rent increase- Notice under s.13 of 1988 Act

ABC123
18-02-2010, 00:17 AM
Is there a rule which stipulates the amount of notice a landlord must give to a tenant before increasing the rent? (If it makes a difference, the tenant rents a room in a shared house rather than renting the whole house).
The tenancy agreement was for a minimum of 6 months which has passed. There is nothing on the agreement about rent increases.

Krispy
18-02-2010, 00:26 AM
Is there a rule which stipulates the amount of notice a landlord must give to a tenant before increasing the rent? (If it makes a difference, the tenant rents a room in a shared house rather than renting the whole house).
The tenancy agreement was for a minimum of 6 months which has passed. There is nothing on the agreement about rent increases.

Look here. (http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-statutes/statutes/housing-act-1988.html#IRU)

ABC123
18-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Thanks for that. It seems that the notice has to be given in a prescibed form - do you know what this is?

"For the purpose of securing an increase in the rent under a tenancy to which this section applies, the landlord may serve on the tenant a notice in the prescribed form proposing a new rent to take effect at the beginning of a new period of the tenancy specified in the notice, being a period beginning not earlier than - "

Does the last part of this sentence mean that a new minimum period would have to begin giving the tenant another 6 months, say, guaranteed at the property?

Ericthelobster
18-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Also look here (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal-residential-rentals/rent-increase.htm)

ABC123
18-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I was thinking of increasing the rent as a quicker way to get the tenant out. He has sometimes been late with his rent, is abusive and very difficult.

I know he would not want to pay more rent and thought this way I would hopefully get rid of him in 1 month rather than having to give him 2 months notice.

Probably better to just give him 2 months notice though and be certain to get rid of him. He's vindictive and will cause as much hassle as possible either way (although he is paying 50 quid per month less than the others in the house so it wouldn't seem so unreasonable for me to increase the rent and I'm sure he would leave rather than pay more).