PDA

View Full Version : Renting with pets

Peridot
17-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone

I am currently living in a council flat in the worst part of town with my partner and our 2 children (6 and 10 years old). The problem is that it is in the roughest part of town, lots of drugs and prostitution and as you can imagine I am worried about bringing my son up in this area, especailly due to his age (10) Yesterday morning I woke up to find that the rear window of my brand new car had been smashed in and for me its the final straw. (Its not the first time I have had my car done over) So we have to decided to give up our council flat and go private (theres no chance of an exchange, I have been trying for 3 years) We both work and I am at college and looking at the price of rent in the areas we want, we can afford it.

Because its been 5 years since we last rented and its a little bit scary going back into private after having the security of council housing. I just have a few questions.
First, I have noticed that nearly all landlords say no pets, the problem is we have a small dog (italian grayhound/chinese chrestedX)she is well trained and has grown out of her chewing stage. We really dont want to get rid of her as we have had her since she was 6 weeks old and my son saw her being born and is very attached to her, she is very much part of the family. Would a landlord reconsider for a pet deposit and if so, how much you expect.

The second question is to do with references, as we have been social tenents, we havent got any references. Would our rent statment be enough to show that we pay our rent on time plus references from our employers?

And the last question is, as landlords, would you perfere a tenents who plans to stay for a few years (if they prove to be good tenents) So if I went to view a house, should I say to the landlord that we are looking for a long let?

Oh one last question, as a landlord would you consider renting to someone how advertised for a rented property? Its just I have seen these on gumtree and in the local rag, and I just wondered if it would be worth me doing this.

Sorry if the post is a bit confused but I am stressed over my car and the £400 bill I have to pay for a new rear window (no my insurance doesnt cover REAR windows):mad:

Thanks for reading my ramblings
Peridot

jeffrey
17-02-2010, 10:59 AM
PETS: if L owns a long-leasehold interest in the flat, L and L's sub-tenant must comply with covenants in the long lease. These do often restrict or prohibit animals; if L is so bound, L cannot authorise sub-T to keep a pet. So you as prospective sub-T need to ask L this, explicitly.

asquithea
17-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Lots of LLs and LAs will say no pets on principle, but in many cases you may be able to negotiate something by offering a much higher deposit. Finding an unfurnished property with hard floors will probably help.

No references is not necessarily a problem. You may be asked for a guarantor (someone who makes a commitment to pay the rent if you fail to do so), and also to provide bank statements and a reference from your employer to demonstrate your income. If you can afford a new car, I don't imagine this will be a problem.

The easiest way (strictly IMHO) to find a property is through letting agents. If you choose this route, there are some fairly substantial fees (a few hundred pounds, depending on the agent), but you'll be able to see a much wider range of properties, and have some level of assurance that they'll follow the legal niceties properly.

Which car insurer are you with? I presume you must have 3rd party only if the damage wasn't covered, as most policies treat glass damage as a special case with a £50-£100 excess.

Kittaycat
17-02-2010, 13:38 PM
References shouldn't be a problem.

I work for a council and I know that the housing department frequently receives reference requests regarding ex-tenants from landlords. There's usually a standard form sent regard information on arrears history, any anti social behaviour or other tenancy breache(s).

Peridot
18-02-2010, 14:04 PM
Thank you all for your replies that has put my mind at rest. I am more than happy to pay a pet deposit so that no problem.
Kitty, thanks I didnt realise the council could give references, so I will defo look into that.
Asquithia, I am with Quinn, although I am fully comp, I had to pay for windscreen cover separate, unfortunaty, when I called them I was told that rear windows were not covered as they are so exspensive to replace:mad: so that was a complete waist of time! I am planning on changing insurance companys.

jeffrey
18-02-2010, 14:37 PM
1. Pets often leave their own deposits.
2. Alfred Hitchcock covered Rear Windows quite effectively.
3. Yes, I have a complete waist problem too.

Peridot
18-02-2010, 15:11 PM
Sorry I meant waste not waist!

Poppy35
18-02-2010, 19:06 PM
its also work looking at houses that say no pets. Im a LA and most of our landlords are negotiable on pets even though they say no to begin with!

irishgem1
18-02-2010, 19:27 PM
Check out 'Lets with Pets' by the Dogs Trust.

Preston
18-02-2010, 20:44 PM
Council tenants have more security than virtually any other form of tenure (bar freehold and long leasehold ownership); their rents are well below market levels; and (contrary to some opinion) they generally live in better designed and maintained homes than private sector tenants. Whats more, most still enjoy a valuable personal asset in the form of the right to buy.

As you have said it is clearly a big decision to give all of this up for an assured shorthold tenancy. Any local authority worth its salt will want to work with you and other decent tenants to sort out the problems in your area, rather than see you leave. I am guessing you have tried this already, but if you haven't, I would urge you to speak to someone reasonably senior in your local housing department and ask them if there is anything they can do to help.