PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole Property Management Ltd - Calling All Who Got Burned

jonsnowy
16-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi All

I'm starting this thread to try and bring together everyone and anyone who got screwed by Keyhole Property Management Ltd in and around the Peterborough area. The company was run by Ross West and Rebecca Wentworth and subsequently went into liquidations owing hundreds of thousands of pounds of rent and deposits to landlords and tenants alike.

I am especially interested in anyone who signed their agreement with Keyhole before they went limited in November 2007 as this means Ross West is solely responsible for paying any monies owed by the "firm" of Keyhole Property Management.

theartfullodger
16-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Blimey... this seems to have been dragging on for some time - eg since 1 May 2008
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Tenants-left-825-worse-off.4038020.jp

I note your remark

agreement with Keyhole before they went limited in November 2007

as according to companies house..
http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/bb470b3012602ace7a02ff2eaad79434/compdetails

They were incorporated 27th Nov 2006 (ie before Nov 2007) - but were they trading as something else before - and classic-classic-classic clue to dodginess (easy for me to say I know) never ever filed any accounts.. at all..

At least for £1 you can get (usually) Directors home addresses from Co House, if they were being honest....

Hope it works out

Lodger

jonsnowy
16-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Actually that was a my mistake, I meant November 2006. Trying to remember all the details without the paperwork in front of me.

I refuse to let this go as he owes me such a sizeable amount.

bfergie
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi,

We are the couple in the article, I google him every now and again as he owes us deposit money. Do you know if he is still living in peterborough, as I want to pay him a visit.

Ben

westminster
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi,

We are the couple in the article, I google him every now and again as he owes us deposit money. Do you know if he is still living in peterborough, as I want to pay him a visit.

Ben
If, as seems to be the case according to the article, Keyhole just managed the property you rented then the landlord is liable for returning your deposit. Keyhole were only acting on his behalf, and ultimately liability rests with the landlord.

bfergie
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
thanks westminster, i have been told all along that I need to chase keyhole for the money, does the landlord have to return the deposit to me?

ben

westminster
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
thanks westminster, i have been told all along that I need to chase keyhole for the money, does the landlord have to return the deposit to me?

ben
Your contract was with the landlord, not the managing agent. Keyhole took your deposit on behalf of the landlord. So, yes, you can pursue the landlord for return of the deposit (assuming you have evidence that a deposit was paid).

Easy to pursue the debt via the small claims track; send LL a letter before action, then issue a claim on Money Claim Online if he doesn't pay you.

It's unfortunate for the landlord, obviously, but his recourse would be to claim the money back from Keyhole (which, as you've found, is unlikely to succeed - but that's not your problem).

Lawcruncher
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM

You were misinformed. The landlord must pay it back.

bfergie
11-04-2010, 13:47 PM
thanks for all the info, is there a standard letter I can use? or laws to quote?

thanks

ben

westminster
11-04-2010, 17:30 PM
is there a standard letter I can use? or laws to quote?

No standard format for a letter before action, you just have to make it clear what you are asking for and why, i.e. that you paid a security deposit of £x on [date] in respect of [tenancy details] and want it back. Give a deadline to pay (2 weeks is ample), and say if you do not receive payment you'll issue a claim in the county court.

No, no law quoting necessary. It's very straightforward; the deposit is your money and you're entitled to get it back now that the tenancy is over.

In the event that you issue a claim, you'll find it helpful to buy a book on the small claims procedure, so you're familiar with the steps along the way (there are a few on Amazon); it can take 4 -6 months from start to finish. But the LL would be pretty foolish to dispute it when you have such a black and white case (in your favour).

It's possible the landlord may bring a counterclaim, claiming, for example, that you caused damage to the property; if so, he will have to provide evidence of this. So don't worry if this happens ( assuming you didn't cause any damage!)

Don't forget to claim interest - you'll find guidance online at MCO, but you can claim 8% per annum since the day the tenancy ended. Court fees will also be added to the claim.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on (you can find old threads by looking at your user profile under 'statistics').

jonsnowy
11-04-2010, 18:34 PM
Hi bfergie

First of all, let me say I'm sorry to hear what Keyhole did to you. I am in the situation that your landlord is in. If my tenant chooses to leave, even though I never received her deposit I am 100% liable to return it to her if/when she leaves. Fortunately she seems quite comfortable there for time being.

Did you happen to read the comments at the bottom of the article on peterborough today website? A little harsh I thought.

I hope everything works out for you :)

NicolaPeterborough
13-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Is this thread still active and is it true what happened with Ross at Keyhole properties? I had initial dealings with him 4 years ago when I purchased an apartment in Peterborough and was really disappointed with his services and decided I would not continue with his services. He was due to return £750 to me and it never arrived so I wrote him an email and he firstly said he had been busy due to an illness in the family and then the money he kept trying to pay into my account kept bouncing back to his account for some un-known reason. In the end I caught a train to Peterborough and called him to say if the money was not reflected in my account within an hour I would go directly to the police station with my laywer. The money was paid within an hour. I am sorry to hear what has happened to everyone who had dealings with him if the accounts are true.

james11
14-11-2010, 13:25 PM
Keyhole agency sounds well dodgy, hope everthing works out for you

property mongrel
14-11-2010, 21:17 PM
What did the TA s say about any deposit taken by Keyhole?

How many people feel they have a grievance with Keyhole?

pm

jonsnowy
16-11-2010, 07:11 AM
When I attended the liquidation hearing for Keyhole Property Management Ltd, there were a good 20 or so people there, mixture of tenants and landlords.

I wonder if anyone would join me in a cooperative legal action against Ross West?