PDA

View Full Version : VOA information request

noopin
15-02-2010, 19:23 PM
I've just received a letter from the regional Valuation Office Agency requesting information about lettings in the private rented sector. Apparently, they're gathering data for LHA values.
They are part of HMRC; I'm wondering how they know I've a couple of lets - or have I just answered my own question? Equally, are the VOA likely to compare information with that held by HMRC?
Is it compulsory to supply this info - they say they want figures about non-HB rent levels; my tenants receive HB - or is this a backdoor tax investigation?

rajeshk4u
15-02-2010, 23:12 PM
You could phone the VOA and ask them where they got your details. Perhaps you can post the response here. I met people from the VOA at an exhibition and were nice and friendly people.

I don't think the VOA will be doing the work for HMRC. I was told by one letting agents that the HMRC demanded to see their client / property list. No doubt catching out landlords who fill in their tax returns.

But you have raised an important issue about data protection. Has the local Housing Benefit given your details to the VOA?.

ram
16-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I've just received a letter from the regional Valuation Office Agency requesting information about lettings in the private rented sector.

Maybe they are just sending out "flyers" to large houses, in the hope they will get some information back.

If it was addresed to you personaly, but it just says they are "requesting information about lettings in the private rented sector ), and not asking you personaly what you charge as rent, then put it in the bin if you read it as, they are playing a blinder just to get data.

Only you know how the letter is worded.

noopin
17-02-2010, 20:31 PM
I presumed that some other LLs would've received such letters. The letter assures compliance with the DPA, but the VOA is an Executive Agency of HMRC, so presumably they can share info. between them. It's not that I've anything (particularly) to hide, I'm just naturally suspicious.

Poppy
17-02-2010, 20:56 PM
... requesting information about lettings in the private rented sector.
Are they asking about your actual private lettings?

Is it compulsory to supply this info - they say they want figures about non-HB rent levels; my tenants receive HB - or is this a backdoor tax investigation?
You tell us. Is the correspondence addressed to you personally? Is it a survey? Does it give a deadline date to respond and if missed sanctions will be taken?

To my knowledge, you are the first member to raise the subject.

Found this Valuation Office Agency (http://www.voa.gov.uk/housing_benefit/lettingsresearch.htm) link on the subject of Lettings Research. Is this what you are talking about?

noopin
17-02-2010, 21:30 PM
Poppy, you're a star! That's exactly what it is. I think that the connection with HMRC made me sit up, and I couldn't work out how they got my address (which is private and used for business; not my home).
Must be a guilty conscience!

Poppy
17-02-2010, 21:46 PM
So, it’s simply a survey. There is nothing to prevent you (and any other landlords inclined to assist the VOA) responding anonymously.