PDA

View Full Version : Scaffolding up for 2 months

Jane Wild
15-02-2010, 15:39 PM
My brother is has been renting a nice house since end of november 2009
On 27th December 2009 scaffolding went up to the front of all 14 houses in the complex due to leeking roofs, no one has done anywork on the properties since .He know has a letter saying scaffolding will be going up on the back of the houses this week and work will be started soon .
He is wondering whether to ask for compensation but does not want to fall out with the Landlord
Is he entitled to ask for this and if so to what amount?
Any response would be welcome

jeffrey
15-02-2010, 15:49 PM
To what extent is the scaffolding [yes, I know that it's unsightly!] actually affecting his enjoyment of the property or residence there?

mind the gap
15-02-2010, 15:50 PM
My brother is has been renting a nice house since end of november 2009
On 27th December 2009 scaffolding went up to the front of all 14 houses in the complex due to leeking roofs, no one has done anywork on the properties since .He know has a letter saying scaffolding will be going up on the back of the houses this week and work will be started soon .
He is wondering whether to ask for compensation but does not want to fall out with the Landlord
Is he entitled to ask for this and if so to what amount?
Any response would be welcome
Has water been pouring into his home? Has he been unable to get in and out of the property during the time the scaffolding has been up? Has he suffered any financial loss?

If the answer to these questions is 'no', please explain why you think he may be entitled to compensation.

Ericthelobster
15-02-2010, 16:52 PM
Maybe he'd rather the scaffolding didn't go up and the roof kept leaking, hopefully damaging his property, thereby providing justification to claim compo?

mind the gap
15-02-2010, 16:56 PM
Maybe he'd rather the scaffolding didn't go up and the roof kept leaking, hopefully damaging his property, thereby providing justification to claim compo?
Now that has just a whiff of cyncism about it, Eric :)

I once spent six months of my life climbing in and out of scaffolding in front of a property. It went right across the frontage including the only door which opened, making no concessions to anyone who wanted to get in or out. I became very well-organised, not to mention supple. Limbo dancing now holds no fear for me.

Jane Wild
15-02-2010, 17:46 PM
My brother is paying a premium to rent a house which is in a new in a gated complex. He would not have rented it if he was told that after a month of being there the place would look like a building site.

Ericthelobster
15-02-2010, 17:49 PM
I once spent six months of my life climbing in and out of scaffolding in front of a property. It went right across the frontage including the only door which opened, making no concessions to anyone who wanted to get in or out. I became very well-organised, not to mention supple. Hey, you know what - so did I! It was a basement tenement in Glasgow about 25 years ago; the particularly offending pole was about waist high...

mind the gap
15-02-2010, 17:54 PM
So you see, OP, every cloud has a silver lining! Eric and I are living proof that the human spirit can survive a prolonged period of scaffolding.

Perhaps it is all a question of perspective. If you could persuade your brother to think of the scaffolding more as as an additional layer of security in his gated complex, then his feelings towards it would be far more positive. He may even grow to like it.

Poppy
15-02-2010, 18:13 PM
I appreciate that scaffolding is unsightly. I am guessing with fourteen houses in a complex, this matter is not directly in your brother’s landlord’s control. Please be more patient.

Mars Mug
15-02-2010, 18:21 PM
My mate had scaffolding up at his place for months, it seems that some scaffolding companies lack any kind of storage and just move the stuff from one job to the next, and a problem arises when the next job hasn’t come along yet.

westminster
15-02-2010, 19:39 PM
My mate had scaffolding up at his place for months, it seems that some scaffolding companies lack any kind of storage and just move the stuff from one job to the next, and a problem arises when the next job hasn’t come along yet.

Yes, scaffolding seems to be a law unto itself. Even if you hired it and then want it to go, it will still be there for ages until some unknown person decides it has to be moved.

mind the gap
15-02-2010, 19:41 PM
Yes, scaffolding seems to be a law unto itself. Even if you hired it and then want it to go, it will still be there for ages until some unknown person decides it has to be moved.

Think of it as modern art. A la Pompidou Centre. Paint it a gay colour (as it advises in my 1957 'Happy Home' manual).

westminster
15-02-2010, 19:45 PM
Think of it as modern art. A la Pompidou Centre. Paint it a gay colour (as it advises in my 1957 'Happy Home' manual).
I think that's an excellent and constructive idea. Until the scaffold company sues you for painting their scaffolding in a gay colour.

mind the gap
15-02-2010, 20:10 PM
I think that's an excellent and constructive idea. Until the scaffold company sues you for painting their scaffolding in a gay colour.
Easy. Do it at the dead of night when nobody can see you. Then swallow the paintbrush (evidence).

There is always a way round these things!:D

We are sooooooooooooooooo on our way to TAB....................Come on Mr Mod. We're all yours. We don't give a damn!

westminster
16-02-2010, 00:24 AM
Posts relating to gaily painted scaffolding have been moved to the rainbow (http://catmacros.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/screw-you-dorothy/) paint forum.

jeffrey
16-02-2010, 10:51 AM
My brother is paying a premium to rent a house which is in a new in a gated complex. He would not have rented it if he was told that after a month of being there the place would look like a building site.
Q: do you really mean a premium (purchase price) or merely an 'enhanced' rent?

mind the gap
16-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Q: do you really mean a premium (purchase price) or merely an 'enhanced' rent?

I think OP just means 'a lot of money'.

jeffrey
16-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I think OP just means 'a lot of money'.
Let OP tell us; neither you nor I can tell.

mind the gap
16-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Let OP tell us; neither you nor I can tell.
I beg to differ. OP's brother is not buying the property, but renting it (see #1). It does not actually matter in the circumstances, but the clear implication is that he is paying a high rent to live in an upmarket gated complex.

OP seems to have disappeared anyway. Perhaps she liked my suggestion about beautifying the scaffolding and is donning her painting overalls even now?

Jane Wild
16-02-2010, 15:45 PM
Yes i do mean a lot of money compared to other same size properties in the area.

mind the gap
16-02-2010, 15:51 PM
Yes i do mean a lot of money compared to other same size properties in the area.
Thank you. Please could you respond to the questions in #3, and we may be able to suggest something more practical than painting the scaffolding!

jeffrey
16-02-2010, 16:34 PM
Please could you respond to the questions in #3
...and in post #2 as well.