PDA

View Full Version : German renting in London

wendysam
15-02-2010, 16:00 PM
Hi,

Can anyone give any advice on this please. My boyfriend is looking to rent a flat in London. He is self employed, owns his own home in Germany, and he does have a bank account over here. He found a flat, but was told that the landlord refused him because the credit check does not cover Germany. I am his guarantor, so thought this would be ok. We are not sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. cheers!

tom999
15-02-2010, 16:04 PM
Can your boyfriend pay rent in advance, e.g. 6 months (and a larger deposit), as some landlord's may find this more acceptable for tenant's from overseas?

Poppy
15-02-2010, 16:06 PM
Has the landlord refused you too? If so, why?

jeffrey
15-02-2010, 16:45 PM
Suggest Tenant Indemnity Insurance (at T's cost but for L's benefit).

wendysam
16-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I do not plan to move in with him at the moment, as I rent my own property from a housing association, for the last 20 odd years. He would definately be able to put rent up front, but when we suggested this the agent said the landlord has a few properties and likes to pay the rent into his account monthly and this would not suit him. Thanks for your replies, much appreicated. I think the way forward is to identify suitable properties, then ask the agent to check with the landlords first, if they would accept him, to avoid more dissapointment. Thanks again!

fletchj
16-02-2010, 16:29 PM
I rent my own property from a housing association, for the last 20 odd years.

I think that may be part of the problem I will only accept as a guarantor a UK resident who owns their own property and is employed. This may sound a bit unfair but its really the only way to be reasonably sure the guarantor has the resources to back up the guarantee.

Offering a chunk of rent upfront should sort out the problem but he should be extra careful to make sure that the landlord either owns the property outright or has told his mortgage company that it is a buy to let. If he dosn't he may find himself evicted by the mortgage company with several months rent payed. I don't think this happens often but is does happen. Also insist on paying the added rent directly to the landlord NOT the agent as this protects him against a dodgy agent going out of business and the landlord evicting him saying he never received the rent. Again not a frequent problem but worth guarding against.

Overall just be that much more careful when handing over a larger amount of money to be sure that all is on the level.

Poppy
16-02-2010, 16:43 PM
A prospective landlord would accept you as a guarantor if you can demonstrate that you can pay both your rent and your boyfriend’s for six months (or for however long the fixed term is). Can you?

One way your boyfriend will find somewhere to rent is if he pays several months’ rent in advance. I definitely don't recommend cash payment. Make sure he receives a receipt and/or pay by bank transfer.

Another way is for him to live with a residential landlord, thereby becoming a lodger.

wendysam
18-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks again. Some really usefull suggestions. Poppy - I could offer to pay the first six months rent through my bank account, as I get paid monthly by my employer the Probation Service. My boyfriend could then give me the rent each month to put in my bank account. This would be safer than offering cash. Thanks :)

JK0
18-02-2010, 14:39 PM
Hmm. Forgive me for playing Devil's Advocate here, but what happens if you fall out with your bf? You will still be paying rent for a flat he occupies, and if he feels hard done by, he may stop paying you.

Telometer
18-02-2010, 14:57 PM
Better than rent in advance is a huge deposit - say 6 months.

That way the deposit is safely guarded by the DPS - thus avoiding any risks with L's mortgage. L still gets his monthly payments (sounds a bit bonkers to refuse up front cash, but hey). L is indemnified from any issues.

Poolboy
18-02-2010, 15:49 PM
I haver had a run of non UK tenants in my flat & it has been the norm to get 6 months in advance. So much so I actually ask the agent to get me another. I knock a bit off to reflect I have little credit risk & a large wadge of cash up front.

I can't believe also that I have never been asked if I am about to be repossessed - its a lot of rent paid in advance. Actually, there's something in the contract covering the issue but it's academic.

Telometer
18-02-2010, 16:21 PM
Actually, there's something in the contract covering the issue but it's academic.

Whatever it is, it's pretty useless. A typical L in debt and about to be "repossessed" will have

1. Charge on property - which means it will be "repossessed".
2. Credit card debt - quite possibly now secured against the property
3. Personal bank loans

There won't be any cash to repay to a generous T.

Poppy35
18-02-2010, 20:03 PM
Better than rent in advance is a huge deposit - say 6 months.

That way the deposit is safely guarded by the DPS - thus avoiding any risks with L's mortgage. L still gets his monthly payments (sounds a bit bonkers to refuse up front cash, but hey). L is indemnified from any issues.

I am aware from postings on here that you are not able to take more than 2 months as a deposit but cant for the life of me think of the reason why at the moment... :confused:

jeffrey
19-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I am aware from postings on here that you are not able to take more than 2 months as a deposit but cant for the life of me think of the reason why at the moment...confused
Yes, you are confused. There is no such prohibition.

Poppy35
19-02-2010, 12:59 PM
you are right, I have just remembered , its not good to take more than 2 months rent in advance in lieu of taking a deposit.........getting old... :D