PDA

View Full Version : Trying to evict a tennant

michaelr
13-02-2010, 16:38 PM
Please Help? i have had to issue a section 8 notice to a DSS tennant. she has not been living at the house for 4 weeks.
she is 8 weeks in arrears, and has left a lot of rubbish, the environmental health has issued a notice stating the rubbish is to be removed with 2 weeks or face a fine of £1000.
i have been trying to get in touch will her for two weeks,i have texted her to state i will change the locks etc , she replied (at last) to this stating i cant?
Q - can i simply change the locks - attach a notice stating my contact details, i understand this might incur a charge of forable eviction, what will this cost me?
Q - will i recieve the enviromental fine since i am the landlord or wil she since she is the tenant?

Ericthelobster
13-02-2010, 17:22 PM
can i simply change the locks - attach a notice stating my contact details, i understand this might incur a charge of forable eviction, what will this cost me?Ooh, a prison sentence, perhaps?

More likely a potentially heavy fine, but the message is the same - don't go there.

Have a read of this article on "abandonment ("http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm)".

Snorkerz
13-02-2010, 21:00 PM
I agree with Eric, that abandonment might be your best course, though as the tenant has contacted you and specifically stated that you can't change the lock, I feel you'd have difficulty proving abandonment.

michaelr
15-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks Guys!

quarterday
15-02-2010, 08:59 AM
your safest option is to get an order for possession. Just possibly, however irksome it might be, it might be to your advantage to offer the tenant £100 to formally surrender the tenancy to you as it will cost you much more than this to get the order, and Easter will be a memory by the time you regain possession going the legal route.......