PDA

View Full Version : Paid Council Tax- so why Magistrates Court summons?

Perplexed
13-02-2010, 10:37 AM
This is just unbelievable! :mad:

I sent the council a cheque by return as soon as I received their reminder. The cheque is shown being paid out through my bank account TEN DAYS AGO, yet today I have received this summons for money I don't owe and they have already taken!

Is there any way I can get my own back from the council? I mean, can I sue for harassment, malicious falsehood or something?

Please someone advise.

Rodent1
13-02-2010, 10:44 AM

I sent the council a cheque by return as soon as I received their reminder. The cheque is shown being paid out through my bank account TEN DAYS AGO, yet today I have received this summons for money I don't owe and they have already taken!

Is there any way I can get my own back from the council? I mean, can I sue for harassment, malicious falsehood or something?

Please someone advise.

Call CT office and confirm payment has been received.

They are the most inefficient bunch of numpties in existence, they have "crossed in the post" that's all. BUT stillmake the call and get a reference and name from the call.

Perplexed
13-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Their reminder is dated 25 Jan and I sent them the cheque on 26 Jan. There is NO excuse for what they have done.

I am SO incensed I want my pound of flesh. :mad:

Rodent1
13-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Their reminder is dated 25 Jan and I sent them the cheque on 26 Jan. There is NO excuse for what they have done.

I am SO incensed I want my pound of flesh.

All you will achieve is getting yourself a headache and a lot of wasted time
Just confirm payment has been received, request summons be withdrawn and get back on with life;)

TopNotch
13-02-2010, 11:09 AM

You need to be very careful now and back up all your payments with documentary evidence as the council will automatically send out a warrant and authorise the baliffs to collect the 'outstanding amount'.

Once the baliffs have been instructed these people will then FORCE their way into your property (as happened to a landlord of mine) and DEMAND that you pay their fees which will be several hundred pounds - the Council inform you that they cannot do anything until the FOLLOWING day (again an automated system) by which time the baliff will have removed your car and other possessions to pay for THEIR callout charges.

Councils curently are behaving as criminals and acting outside the law - but few if any understand this!!

I have dealt extensively with baliffs (on behalf of my landlords) and these people are the scum of the earth who will terrorise elderly women with threats of eviction and repossession over debts which aren't even theirs.

I am looking to set up a lobby group to challenge the way councils are demanding monies with menances and using companies with unsavoury and illegal tactics

Perplexed
13-02-2010, 11:26 AM
You need to be very careful now and back up all your payments with documentary evidence as the council will automatically send out a warrant and authorise the baliffs to collect the 'outstanding amount'.

Once the baliffs have been instructed these people will then FORCE their way into your property (as happened to a landlord of mine) and DEMAND that you pay their fees which will be several hundred pounds - the Council inform you that they cannot do anything until the FOLLOWING day (again an automated system) by which time the baliff will have removed your car and other possessions to pay for THEIR callout charges.

Councils curently are behaving as criminals and acting outside the law - but few if any understand this!!

I have dealt extensively with baliffs (on behalf of my landlords) and these people are the scum of the earth who will terrorise elderly women with threats of eviction and repossession over debts which aren't even theirs.

I am looking to set up a lobby group to challenge the way councils are demanding monies with menances and using companies with unsavoury and illegal tactics

Hey, hang on, we are not there yet. Bailiffs canonly be instructed after the hearing, which will be in March.

But for heaven's sake, they are criminalising me when I actually paid at lightning speed, so of course I'm furious, and there MUST be a way to make them cough up for the harassment, anxiety, distress they have caused me and for their attempt to drag my good name in the mud.

Clearly, THEY are the criminals here. :mad:

Wickerman
13-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Get over it.

Contact the council, tell them you have made payment.

They will cancel the summons.

There is normally a summons charge (about £12) and if it goes to court and it is awarded against you there is a liability charge (about £28). If you get the payment quashed AFTER the court hearing then you lose the summons and liability charges. If you do it before, you get the summons charge quashed.

I am summonsed constantly (about 1 per month). Normally due to student exemptions not being applied. As long as it is dealt with promptly it never goes to court. Even if it does, you can still sort it out.

Perplexed
13-02-2010, 11:33 AM
They KNOW I made the payment: they TOOK the MONEY. :mad:

I feel like contacting the Magistrates Court instead and ask if I can have any redress.

alanvincent
13-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Be careful of the toes you step on today they could be connected to the feet you have to kiss tomorrow. You cant win against small people with long memories

TopNotch
13-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey, hang on, we are not there yet. Bailiffs can only be instructed after the hearing, which will be in March.

But for heaven's sake, they are criminalising me when I actually paid at lightning speed, so of course I'm furious, and there MUST be a way to make them cough up for the harassment, anxiety, distress they have caused me and for their attempt to drag my good name in the mud.

I have faxed student exemption certs every month to the council while I have been taking to them on the phone - only for them to deny later they every received them; I have sent the proofs to the one-top-shop but they were never forwarded.

Finally, we scanned and sent the exemption certs 3-months after we first sent them only for the revenue collection clerk to ignore the attachments and issue the warrant for which the baliffs wanted their fees.

Liverpool City Council the biggest and most useless bunch of misfits you have ever met - their incompetance and stupidity is bordering on criminality and negligence

Wickerman
13-02-2010, 12:36 PM
They are not that bad. The best one stop shop in Liverpool is on Picton road wavertree, l15. Make sure you give them copies and get a receipt. If emailing try revenues.service@liverpool.gov.Uk

tell them you want the summons cancelled. It I very easy I do it all the time.

TopNotch
13-02-2010, 12:43 PM
They are not that bad. The best one stop shop in Liverpool is on Picton road wavertree, l15. Make sure you give them copies and get a receipt.

Thats who we gave it to - and we dropped it off in Dale street as well

Finally had to get the senior revenue collection officer involved

satwant
13-02-2010, 13:50 PM

How very strange that you got the summons within 2 - 3 weeks of the original council tax arriving in the post. Normally you shouldn't even be getting a 2nd reminder soo soon after, leave alone getting the summons.

Yes i think you should try your luck. There are plenty of ads on the TV from law firms advertising no win no fee. But remember, if you want £1 million in compensation, you must make a claim for £2 million.

Getting the summons within the 2 - 3 weeks of the original bill and specially when the bill is already settled is like winning a lottery. If I were you, I would sue them as soon as possible and not waste any more time thinking about it. Because longer you leave it less your million pounds will be worth because the inflation is showing its ugly head again and there is risk of the prices of Porsche and Ferrari going up. GOOD LUCK.

driver
13-02-2010, 14:23 PM
Hey, hang on, we are not there yet. Bailiffs canonly be instructed after the hearing, which will be in March.

Lightning speed?? This was a reminder bill. You can't claim that you've acted on the bill quickly!

You will look like a class A moron if you try and sue for harassment.

Pick up the phone and tell them you paid weeks ago. And then go an channel your anger at something more worthwhile.

Poppy35
13-02-2010, 14:59 PM
They KNOW I made the payment: they TOOK the MONEY. :mad:

I feel like contacting the Magistrates Court instead and ask if I can have any redress.

but like you said above, they sent the reminder before you paid the bill so whats the problem?

Go relax and have a glass/bottle of wine!

councils are always doing this like other utility companies - i got a bill this morning for a client for £800 for an elec bill over winter - they got the day and night readings the wrong way around - it happens and you just have to deal with it.

Paragon
13-02-2010, 18:25 PM
Be careful of the toes you step on today they could be connected to the feet you have to kiss tomorrow. You cant win against small people with long memories

Very good!!

westminster
13-02-2010, 19:16 PM

I sympathize, I really do, as I've had numerous problems with incompetent council freeholders over the years, and have issued claims against two separate councils as it's one of the few effective ways one can hack one's way through their bureaucracy, inaction, complacency and b******t. But I'm afraid in this instance I don't think you have any cause of action for harassment or whatever - it's just a clerical or computer error which can easily be rectified by calling them up and pointing out their mistake.

theartfullodger
13-02-2010, 19:59 PM

Err.. so, they had to remind you, does that perhaps mean you didn't pay when first asked???

Clearly all Council's fault...

Cheers!

Lodger

westminster
13-02-2010, 20:51 PM
Err.. so, they had to remind you, does that perhaps mean you didn't pay when first asked???

Clearly all Council's fault...

We've all paid bills 'late' after the reminder comes. No big deal. And usually the original bill arrives before the actual due date, and sometimes the reminder (especially the first one) is a reminder to pay before the actual due date.

Wickerman
13-02-2010, 21:05 PM
The OP should remember too that Liverpool council do not screw around with council tax arrears. Once the payment deadline has passed for the monthly payment it WILL go to full payment required within a set period. If not paid promptly it WILL go to summons, guaranteed.

Just get everything submitted, and receipted.

Also bear in mind that Liverpool council have a very clear process for documentation - everything handed over at a one stop shop is logged on the system (to generate a receipt) but the actual documentation is passed to a back office for scanning. Once this has been done someone will review the case and make a decision. The scanning process takes the longest and can be 8 weeks or more depending on their workload. Your best bet is to email them (see email I mentioned previously) and ask them to temporarily put on the exemption.

They are looking at improving things by letting you submit the student numbers so THEY can verify eligibility for exemption. Only 2 of the universities have so far signed up - this is a work in progress and more long term. It may also only be possible for agencies to do this - another reason to use a letting agency such as mine :)

Emma1973
14-02-2010, 22:10 PM
Once the baliffs have been instructed these people will then FORCE their way into your property (as happened to a landlord of mine) and DEMAND that you pay their fees which will be several hundred pounds -

And posting completely incorrect info which may frighten people without putting what the correct procedure is unnecessary!

Wickerman
14-02-2010, 22:45 PM
And posting completely incorrect info which may frighten people without putting what the correct procedure is unnecessary!

There should be a lobby group for that!

Seriously though, the procedure is fairly straightforward. As long as you stay on top of the admin (eg looking after the exemption certs etc) you should be OK. There are glitches from time to time.

The OP is dealing with a council that is already stretched (although getting much better), dealing with a process that is crap to start with (eg exemptions apply Jun/Jul/Aug/Sept until May/Jun. Billing is run along the financial year. Every year there is some crossover.

It is very much like councils paying LHA weekly, while most landlords and agents deal monthly.